FX 120 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've been working on some projects using the full range FX 120. I made some trial runs/mock ups and these have been the best so far.

The Onken design: (who thought of this) very clever. I smiled when building them, not really a puzzle, pretty straight forward ~ once you get into it. The compact design is nice.

They sound great, full body sound; with this box tuning, the F3 will be approx. 55Hz and F10 will be approx. 45Hz.

The tall red ones, DBR: Most noticeable, the bass, there's plenty, no eq needed there. I did turn down the mid, -4db; they were sounding pretty good; they put me out by the 2nd track, that's always a good sign (relaxing).

[only the top 1/2 section is the speaker box]

The FX 120 in general: hard to tell where the music is coming from, can't tell which speakers are playing. They seem very sensitive with eq settings; type of sheet goods, damping, etc. Also the high end is all there, they sound like tweeters and woofers at the same time.

I didn't like the sound when both were playing at the same time; I assume there was a lot of cancellation was taking place.

They fill the room with sound, no problem. I did pull out an old Sansui 7070 from the 70s (that I bought new), it sounds better than ever.

"The possibilities are endless" Dr. Walter Bishop

Attachments

• Onken 1.JPG
    Onken 1.JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 693
  • Onken 2.JPG
    Onken 2.JPG
    134.4 KB · Views: 654
Fonken-steen

The small 3" Fostex woofers? I don't remember, I'll have to pull one out and look at the model number. I do remember they sounded pretty nice, i.e for a small, simple ported box. No way near the what the 120s can do.

I need a speaker project, I really enjoyed the Onken design and looking forward to the next build. Yes, I'll have to go with a 8 vent, Fonken-steen pair next.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The small 3" Fostex woofers? I don't remember, I'll have to pull one out and look at the model number. I do remember they sounded pretty nice, i.e for a small, simple ported box. No way near the what the 120s can do.

If it is FF85K i'd class it as better than the FX120 if used as a mid-tweeter -- definitely not a woofer. The new ones are even better.

No need to remove them to look, the surrounds are pretty distinctive...

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• FF85KeN-lite.jpg
    FF85KeN-lite.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 1,325
I've been switching back and forth with the A/B switch and had a chance to compare the DBR vs. Onken. There's not much difference in the bass that I hear. And the tall red DBR's have the advantage of being tight in the corner.

A lot of positive reactions from people that have heard them. I showed them to a A/V buddy, he got a good laugh, he didn't know what was going on, i.e. one speaker, small cabinet, big sound.

I will go back to them and try different damping material, maybe reinforce the back (I have a few crazy ideas). However, going to build more sets, with better material.

Ordered the Fostex FF125WK yesterday, not sure what cabinets to use.

I've been switching back and forth with the A/B switch and had a chance to compare the DBR vs. Onken. There's not much difference in the bass that I hear. And the tall red DBR's have the advantage of being tight in the corner.

A lot of positive reactions from people that have heard them. I showed them to a A/V buddy, he got a good laugh, he didn't know what was going on, i.e. one speaker, small cabinet, big sound.

I will go back to them and try different damping material, maybe reinforce the back (I have a few crazy ideas). However, going to build more sets, with better material.

dude, you're hooked - tried them with the Luxman yet?
Ordered the Fostex FF125WK yesterday, not sure what cabinets to use.
I think you do

Oh gosh...that Luxman is heavy. I wrapped it up and tucked it away today. However, it's not far and I'll use it for the next full range build.

Hooked? Being a newbee, I think I was reeled in..but thanks gentleman for showing me something I never would have know about, thought to build.

FF125wk build

Okay...but I had some help and also started up an old computer with Perfect Box.

Going to make up some mock-up 11liter boxes, with a 20 square inch port, (that will be a deep rectangel).

There's a way to semi-build and box and clamp it temporarily for fine tuning ~ by sliding the baffle and "port" at the same time.

I'll tune the box w/ a generator/voltmeter to 56hz.

I think the supplier was low on FF125wk speakers, however, I hope they are here this week.

I think you do

May be it not important to some people. None of the above boxes are onken. Painfull to me but many other members here call these boxes 'onken' -I wonder why?

I request Dave to explain whis is onken and which is Fonken/mini onken etc. We should not be confused.

Regards

The supplier came though and shipped fast, the FF125wk(s) are here. They did come with plans which I think is good, just to ensure correct box size.

The mock up BR cabinets are 11 liters (2 bigger than suggested) and going to tune to 60hz.

Chrisb, the description was spot on, it looks like a excellent small driver.

That is a narrow spike starting at 6khz then back to level by 8khz requiring a narrower notch.

Zaphs filter crunchs to 7340hz (4.7uF and .1mH) but you'd need to use an l=pad to vary the level, and I don't know the Q of it. Either way, it is off by a bit. But using off the shelf parts can be tricky.

Maybe madisound can help.

Norman

I did hear the peak, it is noticeable right before 7K.

Here are the boxes I'm making up; tuning by sliding the front baffle up and down, which changes the fs.

The boxes are 11 liters, tuned between 58-60hz (hard to pin point). I think it will jump up a bit, when I move the power wire to the back.

Attachments

• FF125wk.JPG
    FF125wk.JPG
    271.4 KB · Views: 250
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.