FX 120 Build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
probably is the best, using $5-$10 opamps vs the junk normally out there.

I have a little experience with ob's, but not putting double 12's or 15's then eq'ing the schmoo out of them. There are a few projects out there now (mjk, etc).

DSCF1568.jpg

018.jpg

(acutually an open backed box with 3" of foam covering the back, 4" bamboos)

Norman

I was wrong. I was looking at a Rolls Bottom Feeder ($129), but the highest crossover point is 140hz (too low for me). Looking at my Rolls 321, the high pass doesn't come from the low pass. I could bypass the output caps. Another option is to replace all 15 of the 4560 opamps, but they arn't too bad.

Norman

15 opamps ain't bad, especially when they are mounted in sockets :)

I think I'll start a new thread on the granada clone in a few days.
Except I'm thinking 3" thick front baffle 2' wide x 18" tall x 6" deep open backed box for a full range sitting on my 15's.
Perhaps a fx120, an alp10 or 12, maybe w5-1880, or dual tb 4" bamboos, who knows.

That bottom feeder also has a subharmonic synthesizer (octave divider).

Norman

If I don't like a speaker, it drives me crazy after awhile.......

I just wanted to listen to these all day long. The sub was a nice touch, but bass is easy compared to voice and treble ~ Imo

I think I need a more sophisticated box to enhance the bass (with the 125).

Again, its easy, it works and no crossover.

FH3? ahh sorry I'm still a forum newbee, is that a Planet10 Design?

It's going to take years for me to catch up with all the speaker jargon :-|

it's taken me only 10 years to forget most of what I thought I learned over the preceding 50 - 190K brain cells per day going offline and all that

FH3 is a great little performer proven to work with a wide range of drivers - we haven't tested the FF125WK yet, but I can't imagine it would sound worse than the "factory recommended" little BR box.

Last edited:
so as not to be taken out of context chrisb should have elaborated "we haven't tested the FF125WK in the FH3 yet" - it ( the cited driver ) definitely works very well in another very familiar enclosure

and he needs to stop quoting himself in the 3rd person - but then check the post's time stamp and come to your own conclusion

Third time the charm?

Well the third attempt, not that I mind, these are really fun to build. With any luck I'll be starting the New Year off right...this time.

I do build them backwards, back to front, vents and sides last.

*for 125wks

Attachments

• P1040649.JPG
    P1040649.JPG
    589.4 KB · Views: 144
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.