A happy snap of my CHR70's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A went out and grabbed pictures to illustrate:

Alpair gold, CHR champangne, Alpair copper, CHR (G2) silver, Alpair silver

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• MA-metal-colours.jpg
    MA-metal-colours.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 879
After realizing excellent results with open baffle (many ‘full/wide range’ drivers, regardless of specs, can be used on something around 2’ wide x 4’ tall when including bass support), I began wondering about sealed boxes and drivers that work well in them with bass support. I always felt the three and four inch TB’s I used performed well in simple sealed enclosures of reasonable size. When partnered with a powered sub everything gels.

Wide range drivers offer many ways to musical goodness. I bet your relatively simple sealed speakers sound great… and would sound even better with bass support. Enjoy them!

I’d like a pair too! Uhg! Not many will be able to go back to speakers with crossovers after listening to these things for a while… I can’t! All I hear is the handoff from one driver to another.

Looking good... How do you like the sound?

They're sounding good, better each day. I'll be honest, I wasn't blown away at first, but I recently went back to the logitechs I was using and the difference is huge.

I can pinpoint sounds so clearly in the mix. I was listening to one song by Muse and there was a little guitar riff that was sitting 6 inches from the left speaker. It then did the tiniest pan left and right, moving only a couple inches in each direction. But I could hear every movement. Got chills. With my old speakers it'd just come out of the left speaker.

A lot of the reverb and subtlies are very clear. Highs are still a bit harsh, I'm hoping they'll get better with time.

All in all, considering the price tag they're fantastic!

Time to get started on the sub :)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I found harsh highs on gen2 but some simple EQ fixed it (series inductor). gen3 dosen't have this issue but is still a little hot on axis compared with off axis. Overall superb drivers though aslong as you can work around there limitations. Infact the gen3 is perfectly listenable inside a simple ported box with no eq which makes it very good value.

I've got the CHR70 Gen. 3 too. Embarrassing to say they sound better in treble than many aluminum dome tweeters. I'm talking about some serious German tweeters that carries oversized aluminum faceplate and comes with pretty high end speakers.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.