Designing a cabinet for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

Danny,

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• Picture 15.png
    Picture 15.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 1,230
I am using Fostex 168EZ Sigma drivers, XO will be active, probably miniDSP, I need to build some SET amp for them, the bottom will be probably 15" Pro driver or very 12" Pro driver, not decided yet...
I did had them running in the enclosures, and I can tell, there was no need for a sub in about 15m2 room, no booming, no shouting, I was very surprised how it turnd out sonic wise....
Even with a lot of EQ and high volume, the drivers were not distorting even with high excursions...

Danny

P.S.: can I send the pics to someone to upload for others to see? using tablet now and i cant upload them, can email them tough...

looking at your idea with fishtype laminating oposed to ring like mine, i think you will need perhaps more material then me, you need to have enough material to be able to turn them on a lathe to round shape. I used two sheet of ply 100x50cm, when i cut the big rings, i ws able to fit smaller one inside it, with some even three tings from one cut.

how wil you achieve the inside shape? the back funnel has same diameter as front speaker cutout... at least in my case. I thought of rounding of the inside, or sand it by hand or something to have smoot surface, but somehow dont know how to do it, the biggest step is where the funnel meets the sphere shape, about 18mm a side.

Danny

I have adapted the design and split the fish shapes down the middle. So with a router or CNC I will make one half of a 'wishbone' this will allow them to be nestled really close.

I was hoping that the stepped nature of the fish shapes would help with diffraction on the inside, and actually be beneficial. I would either sand or route the hard edges off.

Might be easier to fill the gaps, if you want it smooth, a thin layer of clay or something similar?

Work in progress

Just a little taster...
actual shape and inside look. Where is the big step on the inside look, there is the shape change. Up to that step its a sphere, from the step till the end its a funnel.

Danny

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 535
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 531
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.