Designing a cabinet for Mark Audio Alpair 7.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a minidsp, some walnut veneer and the Alpair's, and some amplifiers.

I should be able to fit it all onto one board of ply £45, and the Peerless woofers are £130 for 2.

under £200 from where I am now, lots and lots of time though, will be sped up if I CNC the parts.

Here is the mdf mockup, each wall size was just guessed and made smaller than the last. A bit rough and ready, but should be able to lathe it smooth and see how the process works. The flat face is just big enough to be able to route in a rebate for the alpair driver. And the overall dimensions were limited to a 10" radius as to visually match the 10" woofer.

It has been drying over the weekend. On thursday I will sand the driver hole face flat and square, make a faceplate to hold on the lathe, and when my new lathe arrives turn it into its final shape.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

...update.

I have bought a rotel pre and power amp, to add to my hifi stack.

Just saw on Hypex's webshop that you can get their class D Hypex DS1.2 plate amp for 84Euro exl vat. It has phono input, crossover control and a volume control.

Used in a FAST system, would this adequately replace the miniDSP (needed for other project)

Source - Pre amp;
Output 1 - Rotel power amp - Alpair 7.3 (no crossover)
Output 2 - Hypex DS1.2 - Peerless XLS10 (or similar sub/woofer)

I made a pair of speakers using a Seas coax driver for a local music producer using CNC cut layers. Not very complex but good sounding and visually striking (terrible, old cell phone photos. The colour and dimensional ratios are not how they appear in the flesh. I am too comfortable/lazy to access portfolio photos from this station). The laminations were lined up with half inch diameter register holes filled with half inch brass rods which to add mass and a hefty quality feel. The outside panels are 3/4" ebonized maple. Inside layers are alternating MDF/Baltic birch. Wrapped in a very high quality, buttery soft vinyl (Ultraleather). The vinyl is very, very poppy red (the photos aren't even close).

I have since made a lot of pieces from laminated materials, especially BB. Most of the pieces I have built this way are not audio related though. Of late i have built a cantilever Japanese inspired writing desk, a floating slab vanity and an eight foot workbench all with laminated BB. I like making big slabs from laminations and working them with hand tools using classic tchniques. It sure is hard on tools and my back though. The end result is worth it.

Attachments

• DSC00313.JPG
    DSC00313.JPG
    849.5 KB · Views: 654
  • DSC00308.JPG
    DSC00308.JPG
    831.2 KB · Views: 622
Hi StudioAu:

God what I would give for a big lathe :)
I have a project like this in working, enclosure is ready to be milled to teardrop, made out of laminated ply, I have cut many rings with progressing diameters, overall diameter is 30cm, lenght about 54cm.
All I have to do is turn them smooth and line them inside with dynamat or similar.
Still trugling how to create a sharp recess for the driver....

Danny

I choose rings, because I had a lot of time in a hotel where I was on a business trip, bought some wood, bought a router, got some table, in the garden of the hotel and cutted away :)
Yes I have pics, but I am now in finnland for business trip, when I will be back, I post some pics. Initialy it was thought out to be from fiberglass, but too much work, cutting rings and turning on a lathe is quicker and cleaner job. Also the inside is in the shape of stepped rings, so i hope to achieve some wave difracions. The inside is a cmplete copy of B&W, first part round, back a concave funnel. Only have a tablet now, o can make a sketch.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.