Tweeter to complimant CHP-70 in Frugel-HOrn Mk3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 09:10 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Tweeter to complimant CHP-70 in Frugel-HOrn Mk3

I built a pair of Frugel-Horn Mk3 with the CHP-70 and they sound great. Has anyone added a tweeter to theirs, if so what kind of results have you gotten?
Old 17th October 2011, 10:09 PM   #2
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeman83 View Post
I built a pair of Frugel-Horn Mk3 with the CHP-70 and they sound great. Has anyone added a tweeter to theirs, if so what kind of results have you gotten?
why not try the little ERT26 made by Mark

Creative Sound - Product Details

or any of the $10 - $20 ea range of soft domes offered by Madisound:

Tweeters: Madisound Speaker Store
Old 21st October 2011, 07:02 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Chris. I am going to go with the ERT26. I have some 3 inch Mahogany sitting around (made a small stand alone bar about 4 years ago) and I am going to route it out to place the tweeter in there. I am still working on the crossover.
Old 21st October 2011, 07:47 PM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

CHP old or new?

I was going to suggest ERT26 as well. Colin has had good results using it on the CHP FH3s he has build. Frugal Super-Tweeter

The solid wood wouldbe my aesthetic choice, Colin just mounted them in a 3" postal mailing tube, i'd use a chunk of PVC (3" if you just want to end mount it, 4" if you are up to shaping a baffle to give some round-over. Use 2 pieces of dowel and some string (or similar) to create a "stan" similar to those provided with the Fostex.

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 21st October 2011, 08:30 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

They are the new ones. I have a new spiral upcut router bit that I purchased to make the speaker cut out for the Frugel-Horns. Now I want to try it out on this tweeter design with the Mahogany. It will be something new for me to try out and I am a big fan of using solid wood. I am thinking about making a pair of Frugel-Horns from some solid cherry lumber.
Old 15th November 2011, 03:54 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

A little update on my tweeter project. I have completed the wood work and have installed the actual tweeter, but I am still waiting on some parts for my cross over and the binding posts. I have included some pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0478.jpg (518.7 KB, 400 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0515.jpg (559.1 KB, 384 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0516.jpg (522.5 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0517.jpg (557.6 KB, 363 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0522.jpg (557.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0524.jpg (671.1 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0525.jpg (520.5 KB, 94 views)
Old 15th November 2011, 05:53 AM   #7
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozeman83 View Post
A little update on my tweeter project. I have completed the wood work and have installed the actual tweeter, but I am still waiting on some parts for my cross over and the binding posts. I have included some pics.

tasty work, I hope it sounds as good to your ears as it looks
Old 15th November 2011, 09:46 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Nice woodworking!

Here are two pictures of my attempt. My inspiration came from Collin's Tweeter and they are indeed constructed around a part of a 3" postal tube which I veneered with a sheet of cedrella veneer coming out of a cigar box.

cheers,

Paul
Old 16th November 2011, 06:18 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I received all the components for my cross over and the binding posts. Have not yet assembled the cross over, but I did put the bind post on last night. That was a pain to do, there was very little room for me work to get everything nice and tight. It looks good, will get pics on here in the next few days.

I used the tutorial in the Multi-Way section (which was very informative and easy to follow), to design my first cross over. Next step is to get it all assembled, will be first time soldering electrical components.
Old 18th November 2011, 09:06 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I have finally finished the cross over and tweeter. They look great and sound good. I have included the diagram of my cross over design. Is there any changes or upgrades that would make the whole system sound better. I used Dayton resistors and capacitors. For the inductors I used Jantzen. I have it crossing over at 3.5khz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cross Over Design V1.JPG (34.8 KB, 126 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!