copper veneer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2011, 04:32 PM   #1
pebmrb is offline pebmrb  United States
diyAudio Member

Default copper veneer

I was considering veneering my Dallas II BLHs with copper veneer on the sides and a wood veneer on the front.I would appreciate some opinions on what,if any effects the copper might have on the sound.These speakers sound great and would hate to damage them by putting this unique veneer on em if it would cause some sort of resonance.The cabinets are unfinished baltic birch plywood right now.The copper veneer is about twice as thick as aluminum beer can.Anyone have thoughts on this?
Thanks
Old 17th October 2011, 04:36 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

It'll be fine

You won't have any sonic problems. The copper isn't loose, it'll be glued in place.
Old 17th October 2011, 04:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Copper is heavy and sonically dead. I'd expect it to kill resonances and be a great addition. That said, it's also soft and will scratch and dent very easily, and show those dents like crazy. Cosmetically it's going to be high maintenance.
Old 17th October 2011, 04:54 PM   #4
BTW is online now BTW
diyAudio Member

copper will oxidize over time.... If you want to preserve the nice copper finish.... you'll need to spray/paint lacquer over the copper to prevent oxidation...
Old 17th October 2011, 04:57 PM   #5
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is that real copper, or phenolic backed plastic laminate based?

There are some great hammered / textured metal laminates available that are not much more difficult to work with than a standard high gloss laminate, but the costs can make exotic tropic veneers look affordable; and then there are some fabrication issues. As Conrad has noted, a thin sheet of pure untreated copper would be very soft, and will telegraph / magnify imperfections and handling "oopsies", and is subject to oxidization / tarnishing.

That said, they could look gorgeous in a steampunk aesthetic.

Last edited by chrisb; 17th October 2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 17th October 2011, 09:53 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

wow!so many fast responses.Good point about maintenence,a nicely finished copper would be a nightmare,but actually the type of copper I will most likely use will be a corroded/patina variety anyway,so fear of damage will be minimal.
Chrisb..Funny you should mention Steampunk.That's exactly the look I am after.Have you seen my Playstation 1 CD player posted in the Digital section?
Thanks to all for the help.I will post pics when they are done.
Paul
Old 18th October 2011, 02:18 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Another consideration I have is leather or Tolex vinyl covering like is used on musical intrument amps and speakers.Anyone have an opinion or experience with these on hifi speakes?I think I would stick with wood on the baffle,but for the sides and top these might be good.Obviously I am trying to go with a unique look here,but certainly not at the expense of sound quality.
Paul
Old 18th October 2011, 04:53 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pebmrb View Post
Another consideration I have is leather or Tolex vinyl covering like is used on musical intrument amps and speakers.Anyone have an opinion or experience with these on hifi speakes?I think I would stick with wood on the baffle,but for the sides and top these might be good.Obviously I am trying to go with a unique look here,but certainly not at the expense of sound quality.
Paul
I've seen some very nifty looking leather work on Sonus Faber enclosures - quite possibly less costly and troublesome to work with than the copper, but of course and entirely different aesthetic.
Old 18th October 2011, 05:33 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tolex will damp the cabs a bit, but it's the sort of thing where your second attempt will be much better than your first. It stretches, so there's an aspect to working with it that can't be put into words or shown in a YouTube video.

This guy lives near me and is really good at it:
http://www.amplifiednation.com/

Where are you getting the copper?
Old 18th October 2011, 06:37 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The copper:
Patina Copper Veneer Stock List

I have worked with Tolex a bit doing guitar amps.Had some prety good results.I noticed there are some really nice patterns out there nowadays.Perhaps I'll do a combo of copper,wood,faux leather.
Now we're talking steampunk.

Hide this!Advertise here!