Fostex FE167 double bass reflex

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all,

Two years ago, we built, with my brother, a Fostex double bass reflex for the FE127e (http://www.fostexinternational.com/docs/speaker_components/pdf/recom_enclose/127e_enclrev.pdf)

We were very pleased with the result :)

Now, we have two FE167e and we want to try similars enclosures, a la Fostex, for them.

I look at the parameters, try to understand how Fostex design the 127 and 207 enclosures and ended with that for the 167 :

Small volume (with the speaker) : 15 l tuned to 108 Hz (to the second volume)

Total volume : 48l (15 + 33 l) tuned to 55 Hz (to the outside)

What do you think of that, before we waste some wood ?

Fostex style DBR / DCAAV enclosures can be modelled in Akabak and also in MJK's dedicated worksheet.

There is also an old DOS program in Italian (I think) that works OK, but doesn't agree terribly closely with results from akabak. I have found both akabak and MJK to model quite close to reality. Other 'speaker calculators' I have found on the net have been laughably inaccurate.

A lot of work has been done on these enclosure types in the past and there are many documents on the net, sadly, very few in english.

Modelling is one thing. I don't think many people actually understand what the design goals are for DBR and how to optimise them. I am still learning. Lots of odd looking boxes in my shed....

If you like, I am happy to model your suggested enclosure in akabak or MJK and post the results.

>>> Total volume : 48l (15 + 33 l)

>>> I for one would be interested to see what you come up with, as I have FE167's in 48L BR boxes that sound fine.

Single Driver Website

I built this such a long time ago and still have the boxes. I don't even know what the tuning is bc i just followed the dims of the port from the original design. I'd imagine the 167 would sound about the same since the drivers are similar... and I too would be interested in how the Fostex design sims... always have been! Thanks in advance if you are able to sim the results!

Hi,
DBR alignements can also be modeled with LspCAD

I didn't know that. I have not looked at LspCAD, maybe it's time I did!
Can it model multiple chambers (3+) or just a dedicated DBR alignment?

Looks like it may be the thing for the OP.

rgds,
Keith Arnold
blakkshepeaudio

ps. Ah, yes, I remember now. LspCAD, at least the version I have, does not run under Win7 64 bit. I will put it on my XPSP3 netbook, along with all the other great audio programs that don't run under Win7 64....

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.