RMAF 2011 - Who's Going, What's There?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
1. Is anyone attending the RMAF 2011 this weekend in Denver? http://audiofest.net

2. I notice some widebander companies will be there:

Voxativ
Lowther America
Madisound
SEAS (not sure what they'll bring).

Please mention any others!

There also seem to be plenty of other cool companies, e.g., Bottlehead, Tape Project, Linkwitz Lab, Pass Labs, German horns (Acapella, Cessaro), and lots of vinyl-related companies.

Madisound displayed their new BLH kit. Alas, the FE126En sounded brand new (no break-in) but showed promise. (On top is what looks like a fullranger but I believe it's a SEAS coax).

Attachments

• 101511133909.jpg
    101511133909.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 255
  • 101511133811.jpg
    101511133811.jpg
    518.8 KB · Views: 266
Voxativ showed their fine BLH (which recently graced the cover of Stereophile magazine).

I wanted to love these. And I did love some aspects. First off, I have AER's at home and these drivers sounded almost exactly like the AER's (no surprise as this company split off from AER). And like my AER's, you want to be about 15 degrees off-axis (also no surprise).

The cab does have a lot of guts in the bass but for some reason, it didn't win me over (probably just the lack of novelty in the sound compared to what I have at home).

Attachments

• 101511122144.jpg
    101511122144.jpg
    403.3 KB · Views: 250
Rethm recently developed a custom in-house replacement for Lowthers. The room was dark and so is the picture. They sounded good except I did not love the active bass (it sounded too much like a sub to me). Blame the room, or maybe the listener. Otherwise good.

Attachments

• 101511123047.jpg
    101511123047.jpg
    401.7 KB · Views: 236
A Swedish company named EARO displayed some good BLH's. The smaller ones look like they use the Jordan JX92S but that could be a superficial resemblance. They sounded stellar in terms of clarity and imaging. The big red ones use a custom in-house paper cone driver with active electronics inside -- very convincing.

Attachments

• 101511131234.jpg
    101511131234.jpg
    552.8 KB · Views: 127
It's amazing that DB Keele was just hanging out (as was Siegfried Linkwitz). This curved line array was based on Keele's work (or maybe even designed by him) and sounded fantastic in the Parts Express room. The idea apparently is similar to constant directivity (unless I'm completely wrong).

Clear, open, spacious, beautiful.

Attachments

• 101511135327.jpg
    101511135327.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 147
These 1940's Western Electric monitors were by far the best thing I heard, in terms of tone. In the Silbatone room. I would have thought they were junk, from looking at them, but they were unforgettable. Very rolled off on top so "vintage sounding" but they were just flat out superior tone-wise (does anything else matter?)

Attachments

• 101511141613.jpg
    101511141613.jpg
    557.5 KB · Views: 148
The Lowther-America room. Amazing sound, incredible imaging. At one point, we were listening to a percussion track and some idiot (!) came into the room from behind and was shaking a maraca. Well of course no, that was the imaging doing its work, and it was spectacular.

The room was set up to perfection. The speakers looked like prototypes but I cannot argue with the results. Pure, transparent and very convincing 3D imaging with incredible depth and one of the very widest soundstages I've ever heard.

I'm still not 100% sold on the servo subs but that's a nitpick!

Attachments

• 101511151034.jpg
    101511151034.jpg
    516.2 KB · Views: 291
Hi RJ, thanks for the report; comments and photos were great. I like the inclusion of Keele's curved array, even though not really a "single driver" speaker. Did you notice whether any dsp was used and was it actively crossed over?

I'm going to look up the EARO that you mentioned. Thanks, again for posting.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi rjbond3rd, thanks for posting the pictures.
I was there but I did not make very many pics.
I did not like the Teresonic sound, was too unbalanced for me. I liked Voxativ much better. Bass was way better from Voxativ than from Teresonic. Rest pretty much too...midrange and hights were balanced. Unlike Teresonic, shouting.
As for Lowthers room, I loved the sound, but hey, we are not talking about fullrange drivers anymore here, when you have great ribbon on top and big woofer on the bottom, ok? This is finely the Lowther sound I can tolerate...

Don't forget Parts Express. They were down in the lobby with their house brand fullrangers and a bunch of smaller TB models. Classic Audio Reproductions had a field coil 8" fullranger available as a complete speaker. They built the driver themselves, and I think it will only be available as a complete speaker. They weren't playing when I was in the room (a big one, shared with AtmaSphere), but given how their products always sound, I bet it is fantastic. Their room is always one of my favorites. I don't suppose anyone noticed the fullranger on the Emia/Dave Slagle/Jeffrey Jackson/John Chapman/Bent Audio table? I'll have some pics up on my forum in a few days.

These Guys had a booth just across the way. For those who would rather not build their own cabinets, they look like a great option. They offer a few cabinets for popular diy designs by Madisound, GR Research and the Econowave (of Audio Karma and Audio Circle fame). But, they can build whatever you want. I don't know how thrilled they'd be to do just one pair, but they seem perfect for a group buy or something like a forum reference project. Nice gents and great looking boxes.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers
edit: spelling

Hi Paul!

Yes, I did see that intriguing fullranger field coil at the Emia table -- it looked suspiciously like a field-coil Betsy (!!!) How does it sound?! I'm still very fond of my Betsy's, one of the only drivers I've had which "just worked."

What else did you hear and like? I also wanted to hear the CAR field coil (is it a hot-rodded version of another driver?)

I brought that pair home, but I haven't had the chance to hook them up yet. Dave is very happy with the sound, and compared them to Lowthers, a high complement. They ended up being a little more difficult to assemble than he had hoped. It is quite likely the magnetic design will remain the same, but we may change the structure mechanically.

I wasn't at the show long. I had some other obligations and my in-laws were in town. I was there long enough to find some rooms I didn't like, but I won't comment further. I don't know squat about that CAR driver, but it looks as if they could be building it from the ground up. Its tough to say without seeing it from behind, and in any case, further speculation wouldn't be polite. I'm just happy to see more serious fullranger products.

Paul
Wild Burro Audio Labs - DIY Full Range Speakers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.