I picked up a pair of Electro Voice SP 15's - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2011, 09:12 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default I picked up a pair of Electro Voice SP 15's

I contacted EV and they gave me a guys name and number but what I am wondering is can these be reconed for subwoofer use? and does anybody know of a cone kit I could buy that would do this or should I go the long expensive route and ship them to be reconed?
Old 10th October 2011, 09:42 PM   #2
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

'Sub' woofer? I doubt it, but it's a good woofer as is. EV used it as one in multi-way systems, so even if blown, it seems best to re-cone it as original if still possible to maintain its collector value.

GM
Old 11th October 2011, 12:11 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
'Sub' woofer? I doubt it, but it's a good woofer as is. EV used it as one in multi-way systems, so even if blown, it seems best to re-cone it as original if still possible to maintain its collector value.

GM
Thanks Greg. I wasn't aware that there were EV collectors. I read some stuff about them on the net that was positive but It said a proper cab was like 20 CuFt. I don't have room for that anymore.

Last edited by cradeldorf; 11th October 2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 12th October 2011, 06:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

I think I'll probably just put them up for sale somewhere.
Old 12th October 2011, 07:24 AM   #5
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

if they are the 1960's ferrite magnet model with a level control (but not tweeter) then they have low fs (~23Hz), low qts and beautiful tone (better than some modern 8" and 10") I've run SP15 in RJ and Karlsons. The later SP15A were more like EV 15L and gave up a bit of beauty imo in the mids. My pair of SP15A have a two ohm resistor hidden under a frame spoke to raise qes and qts and used something close to a 4ohm voice coil.

if they need reconing then try to find something close to their original cone and coil assembly.

McKenzie carries an EV-clone kit for 15L but I don't know if it would properly fit plus the original whizzered SP15 had a better tone.
I could stand to have two SP15A reconed - Parts Express "Wizard" lists SP15A. I've got way too many speakers as is.

SP15 in the little RJ - it had power when playing a Stanley Clarke upright bass solo. In a Karlson, SP15 has a beautiful midrange and bass much like an Altec 416
Click the image to open in full size.
mid-60's SP15

~70's-> SP15A

Last edited by freddi; 12th October 2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 13th October 2011, 05:44 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Thank's Freddi, Yep they're those you have pictured in the middle with the big white magnet covers and that L-pad adjustable knob thingy . Mine have just a little 1/4 tear in one of the cloth surrounds the other cone is fine but the surround isn't setting perfectly flat, it's got some wave in it. other than that they look great. Here they are sitting on my kitchen cupboard.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EVSP152.jpg (40.0 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg EVSP154.jpg (45.2 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by cradeldorf; 13th October 2011 at 05:50 AM.
Old 13th October 2011, 05:59 AM   #7
GM is online now GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
Thanks Greg........ It said a proper cab was like 20 CuFt.
You’re welcome!

That would be true for a BLH and/or driven with a high output impedance, but with SS or even a small amount of series resistance it’s not so large, especially if you can go tall in a MLTL.

A T/S max flat alignment is ~13.7 ft^3/36 Hz and a typical room ‘friendly’ alignment that typically works well backed up against a wall would be ~6.9 ft^3/36 Hz. For corner loading, ~4.5 ft^3/34 Hz cab should be adequate.

GM
Old 13th October 2011, 06:09 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
You’re welcome!

That would be true for a BLH and/or driven with a high output impedance, but with SS or even a small amount of series resistance it’s not so large, especially if you can go tall in a MLTL.

A T/S max flat alignment is ~13.7 ft^3/36 Hz and a typical room ‘friendly’ alignment that typically works well backed up against a wall would be ~6.9 ft^3/36 Hz. For corner loading, ~4.5 ft^3/34 Hz cab should be adequate.

GM
Dang your good. Thanks again buddy, I really need your help on those 604 cabs to finish them up. a better port size recommendation and some stuffing/ wall treatment suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by cradeldorf; 13th October 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 26th November 2012, 02:23 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hello, i did an open baffle with my SP15. I did bypass the resonant circuit inside for raising the HF response-i did not need it im adding a tweeter anyway-
sound wise it is surprisingly great. Midrange is so live and OB makes them have great sound.
Extreme LF of course is not there, but todays subs are plenty available to add if you want it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2221.JPG (457.0 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2222.JPG (452.3 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2224.JPG (482.0 KB, 40 views)
Old 26th November 2012, 04:17 PM   #10
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

bet that's good on vocals - SP15 has excellent midrange - were the values of the HF circuit marked? I'd like to see the circuit. What's your helper tweeter in the pix?

Hide this!Advertise here!