I picked up a pair of Electro Voice SP 15's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
'Sub' woofer? I doubt it, but it's a good woofer as is. EV used it as one in multi-way systems, so even if blown, it seems best to re-cone it as original if still possible to maintain its collector value.

GM
Thanks Greg. I wasn't aware that there were EV collectors. I read some stuff about them on the net that was positive but It said a proper cab was like 20 CuFt. I don't have room for that anymore.

Last edited:
if they are the 1960's ferrite magnet model with a level control (but not tweeter) then they have low fs (~23Hz), low qts and beautiful tone (better than some modern 8" and 10") I've run SP15 in RJ and Karlsons. The later SP15A were more like EV 15L and gave up a bit of beauty imo in the mids. My pair of SP15A have a two ohm resistor hidden under a frame spoke to raise qes and qts and used something close to a 4ohm voice coil.

if they need reconing then try to find something close to their original cone and coil assembly.

McKenzie carries an EV-clone kit for 15L but I don't know if it would properly fit plus the original whizzered SP15 had a better tone.
I could stand to have two SP15A reconed - Parts Express "Wizard" lists SP15A. I've got way too many speakers as is.

SP15 in the little RJ - it had power when playing a Stanley Clarke upright bass solo. In a Karlson, SP15 has a beautiful midrange and bass much like an Altec 416
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

mid-60's SP15
image.php

~70's-> SP15A
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Thank's Freddi, Yep they're those you have pictured in the middle with the big white magnet covers and that L-pad adjustable knob thingy . Mine have just a little 1/4 tear in one of the cloth surrounds the other cone is fine but the surround isn't setting perfectly flat, it's got some wave in it. other than that they look great. Here they are sitting on my kitchen cupboard.

Attachments

• EVSP152.jpg
    EVSP152.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 306
  • EVSP154.jpg
    EVSP154.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:

GM

Joined 2003
Thanks Greg........ It said a proper cab was like 20 CuFt.

You’re welcome!

That would be true for a BLH and/or driven with a high output impedance, but with SS or even a small amount of series resistance it’s not so large, especially if you can go tall in a MLTL.

A T/S max flat alignment is ~13.7 ft^3/36 Hz and a typical room ‘friendly’ alignment that typically works well backed up against a wall would be ~6.9 ft^3/36 Hz. For corner loading, ~4.5 ft^3/34 Hz cab should be adequate.

GM

You’re welcome!

That would be true for a BLH and/or driven with a high output impedance, but with SS or even a small amount of series resistance it’s not so large, especially if you can go tall in a MLTL.

A T/S max flat alignment is ~13.7 ft^3/36 Hz and a typical room ‘friendly’ alignment that typically works well backed up against a wall would be ~6.9 ft^3/36 Hz. For corner loading, ~4.5 ft^3/34 Hz cab should be adequate.

GM
Dang your good. Thanks again buddy, I really need your help on those 604 cabs to finish them up. a better port size recommendation and some stuffing/ wall treatment suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Last edited:
Hello, i did an open baffle with my SP15. I did bypass the resonant circuit inside for raising the HF response-i did not need it im adding a tweeter anyway-
sound wise it is surprisingly great. Midrange is so live and OB makes them have great sound.
Extreme LF of course is not there, but todays subs are plenty available to add if you want it.

Attachments

• IMG_2221.JPG
    IMG_2221.JPG
    457 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_2222.JPG
    IMG_2222.JPG
    452.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_2224.JPG
    IMG_2224.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 115
Hello Freddi, nice to read your post again here......
first i removed the brillance circuit that is 0,20mH and a 2,4uF those are in series with the wipper of the brillance pot connected to one side of the 2,4uF
The pot is 100ohms 5 watts.both sides of the pot are on the plus and minus of the SP15.
That done i knew i used the SP15 as a two way design.
My tweeter is a LPG 26N neodium magnet 92 dB/w/m eff.
Since the SP15 really shoouted stronger, i did use a series resistance with the SP15.
That plays two things, changes the QTS actually raises it, it's an Ok thing for open baffle and trim down efficiency to match my tweeter.
I know that the other way reversed, you trim or pad a tweeter/midrange to match an inefficient woofer, but here it proved to be the solution.
Ididn't wanted to have a 10cu.ft. boxes-i had Altec's 18's in the past- but use a very good driver in OB.
Franly it's great and a fraction of the cost of my PHY-HP.......
Crossovers had to be 6db/oct. for minimum phase error, so i did spread the filter points a bit.
SP15 low cut at 1KHz, and tweeter is 4KHz.
Yeah i see people read this and have questions, in fact the SP15 with the wizzer even so responded quite well to 2KHz:rolleyes:.....That make some experimenting with inductors and caps a challenged.

With 845 SET's amps on 8 ohms taps it's so magical! This amp is sensitive to complex impedances curves.
Updated Dynaco ST70 really sings.

I also uses a Sonic Frontiers power2 at 130 watts per channel, only to have more control.
Low freq, responses go low about 45Hz.
With a good matched sub you have a great system.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.JPG
    IMG_2072.JPG
    450 KB · Views: 125
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.