Novice build of Silbury - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th October 2011, 06:55 PM   #21
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, sorry but thats pure marketing speak tosh, it does nothing of the sort in any effective sense, rgds, sreten.
Ron Clarke does nothing without a reason. He has some very advanced proprietary modeling tools* that allow him to actually see this expansion. Then proven in practise.

*(Based on tools that keep billions of litres of fluid in their pipes)

Quote:
The expansion is allegedly "Hypex" whatever than means, but properly tapered expansions will work better.
The design is simplistic, with parallel sections, it could easily be modified for 3 section tapers, YMMV.
And with 3 tapered sections it would not work as well. The discontinuities & expansions followed by reductions act as low pass filters that keep the higher frequencies out of the mouth output. Work pioneered by Harry Olson, and refined by Tetsuo Nagaoka.

Theory is fine, but the proof is in the pudding.

dave
Old 11th October 2011, 07:48 PM   #22
mp9 is offline mp9  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfieldrebel View Post
There's a couple of deadspaces, I used dried sand to fill these.
I'm working on the Victor (similar design), and plan to spray a expandable insulation foam in the void behind the compression chamber etc., to keep the weight down. Any reason why i shouldn't?
Old 11th October 2011, 08:04 PM   #23
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
I'm working on the Victor (similar design), and plan to spray a expandable insulation foam in the void behind the compression chamber etc., to keep the weight down. Any reason why i shouldn't?

other than it's a lot harder to remove than granular materials if you get undesirable artifacts, probably not
Old 11th October 2011, 08:08 PM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreten View Post
Hi, sorry but thats pure marketing speak tosh, it does nothing of the sort in any effective sense, rgds, sreten.

The expansion is allegedly "Hypex" whatever than means, but properly tapered expansions will work better.
The design is simplistic, with parallel sections, it could easily be modified for 3 section tapers, YMMV.
well then, care to share your design portfolio or build gallery?
Old 11th October 2011, 08:38 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
other than it's a lot harder to remove than granular materials if you get undesirable artifacts, probably not
...what are the chances of that happening?
Old 11th October 2011, 09:59 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp9 View Post
...what are the chances of that happening?

uncertain - hence the "if" not "when" - seriously, has anyone experienced grief with this technique, or had opportunity to compare to sand / kitty litter, etc?
Old 11th October 2011, 11:33 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
What would you do if you were unhappy with the granular material? Drill and try to shake out?
Old 11th October 2011, 11:43 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfieldrebel View Post
What would you do if you were unhappy with the granular material? Drill and try to shake out?

I'll usually install the input terminal cup at that location, or include a large enough recessed aluminum plate to permit access, and the last few grains would need a vacuum.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:01 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I'll usually install the input terminal cup at that location, or include a large enough recessed aluminum plate to permit access, and the last few grains would need a vacuum.
OK capisco
Old 12th October 2011, 02:52 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Quote:
uncertain - hence the "if" not "when" - seriously, has anyone experienced grief with this technique, or had opportunity to compare to sand / kitty litter, etc?
This large of a void space isn't something i ever dealt with in a build. Honestly i didn't even know expandable foam was considered a technique used, let alone a acceptable one. I'll infer it is since you asked about experiencing grief with it, just not a tech you've used

Hide this!Advertise here!