how to filter?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A foolish new bee question if you may? I have decided that i need more low end on my alpair6,, a bass junkie i am. I am thinking of the

Dayton Audio RSS210HF-4 8" Reference HF Subwoofer 4 Ohm 295-456

Paul Carmody has a neat "pony design" that i like the looks of. it uses a dayton 70w and is tuned to 25hz

would it be wise to filter the alpair? say everything bellow 80hz? Not entirely how to accomplish this?

appreciate the thoughts..

You certainly want to keep the mids and highs out of the subwoofer.

Presumably you have an amp driving the Alpairs. You want an active filter working at line (signal) level. You probably also want a summer to bring left and right channels together, although low frequencies tend to be identical channel to channel in a stereo system. Lastly you want to be able to adjust the relative levels to account for the different amplifier gains, powers and speaker efficiencies.

Google 'Linkwitz-Riley Crossover' Take a look at Rod Elliotts site, he offers a solution including a PCB.

well, most active crossovers sound horrid. But there is hope for the marchand ones. The passive ones are sweet if you have a stout preamp to push through them. It depends on your priorities and what you can live with.

I use a f-mod 80hz (only 6db/octave) to a sub to run with mains, but sometimes I want to relieve the mains of bass (they sound cleaner). I may get a cheapie active 2 way and hop it up for a 100hz crossover point.

Norman

would it be wise to filter the alpair? say everything bellow 80hz? Not entirely how to accomplish this?

If there is any capacitor at the input of your amplifier , you may swap different values ( lower ...of course ) following the formula
F = 1 / 2πRC and for the transitory property..... C= 1/ 2πFR where R remains unchanged and F is where the point of 6 dB per octave step is set .

The simplest way for this setup is to run speaker level inputs to the plate amp then run from the speaker out on the plate to the Alpair. This is a fixed 125Hz filter but should still work pretty well with the alpair6. It would give you a feel for where you want to cross the Alpair's.

It's simple and can be undone if you decide you want to cross lower.

BTW, that's a great sub driver and a great design. I use it myself.

A foolish new bee question if you may? I have decided that i need more low end on my alpair6,, a bass junkie i am. I am thinking of the

Paul Carmody has a neat "pony design" that i like the looks of. it uses a dayton 70w and is tuned to 25hz

The low sensitivity begs for an active crossover solution, so that you may adjust SPL to any "top range" you please. With active crossover, it is also very feasable to use high(er) order crossover. This eliminates bas sounding midrange radiating from woofer.

The simplest way for this setup is to run speaker level inputs to the plate amp then run from the speaker out on the plate to the Alpair. This is a fixed 125Hz filter but should still work pretty well with the alpair6. It would give you a feel for where you want to cross the Alpair's.

It's simple and can be undone if you decide you want to cross lower.

BTW, that's a great sub driver and a great design. I use it myself.

thanks, good idea, but i read the dayton 70 watt amp manual and it claims that there is No filter on the line level with this smaller amp..

Yes on filtering (and also to all on what counter culture said). Easiest implementation I can think of is minidsp w/2.1 plugin, pony sub/amp.

I like the looks! Would be a good learning experience to have that kinda control..

Have there been others that have used the Minidsp with the Alpairs? Does it still maintain the purity of sound? Being relatively new to fullrange i have been most impressed by the imaging and soundstage, would be a shame to loose that..

Would be interesting to build a all in one, Dsp, stereo 2 channel amp for Alpairs and mono subwoofer amp all in one desktop chassis..

Or perhaps a Minidsp, mini tube amp in one chassis for the Alpairs and still utilize the dayton plate amp(I already bought)??

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.