Audio Nirvana

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
lol, doubtingthomas, you don't know how to search then, try searching for an10, maybe even an12.

I have some experience with an an10 stamped frame. It's about 12' from me right now. It is a very light cone with a bit of climb from 1-2khz, but Nelson Pass was kind enough to show a filter that would help. It seems well built and the customer service was helpful. But I haven't tried it. The an10 is still in its original shipping box.

wow Adason, only 74 hits searching for audio and nirvana ?

That's better than I could find. I got 33 hits in .11 seconds searching for an10 in this forum, 18 hits for an12 in .11 seconds, and only 4 hits for an15 (the 15" version) in .06 seconds flat.

74 to 55, you win.

Norman

>>> my AN10 is also still in shipping box

Unfortunately there are lots of nice drivers packed away. I have several beauties (Fostex 168s, TB 1808 and the venerable Radio Shack 1354 for example).

Others rise to the top of the project list but that doesn't make them superior, just better liked at the moment.

I'd love to get my hands and ears on a pair of 12 or 15 AN drivers. Probably put them on OB and add bass and treble support.

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
These are excellent drivers in my opinion. Lowthers on the cheap. Ignore all the negative talk on these forums about these drivers. Most of it comes from people who sell competing drivers.

The ANs are fantastic value for money and will get you very close to the music.

I own a pair of the 15" ferrite Audio Nirvanas, in huge ported cabinets. I'm driving them with an umodded Trends 10.1 amp. Bass goes down to the 20s, no need for a tweeter, an amazing accomplishment. They are fantastic, price notwithstanding. Among the best I've heard, and I'm no newbie to high end.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a decent collection of these drivers, but have not had the time
(the years go by) to do a decent treatment with them.

Simply putting them in my big open baffles (BOB), I have at least managed
to listen to them. They are very nice drivers, particularly at the price. My
usual reaction to listening to them is that they are better than they should
be at the cost. The smaller ones need a woofer to help out in OB's. The
obvious comparison is with Fostex.

They are good out of the box, but they do respond to some tweaking,
a little EQ, pointing and positioning. Have a glass of wine with them
and you'll be happy.

:cool:

I have the AN12 cast frame and like them very much. I've tried them in box and open baffle. I like the open baffle crossing over to the Goldwood 18 H frame subs. IMO the AN's can really deliver if relieved of below 70Hz and not pushed to crazy volumes (and yes I do push crazy volumes at times). I haven't tried the Enabl treatments but I'm tempted too. Like Nelson said, sit back with a glass of wine and just enjoy. They may not be the "ne plus ultra" speakers but then again what is? Definitely a fun speaker, good value, and responds to all the tweeking and placement trials any real audiophile will feel compelled to try.

AN

i have good sound experience with the 8" in my different horns,
HORN sat, SAXOPHON, POSAUNE XL

Attachments

• t2sewo87.jpg
    t2sewo87.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 312
  • saxophon nirvana.jpg
    saxophon nirvana.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 308
  • posaune XL ANS8  TK.jpg
    posaune XL ANS8 TK.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 306
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
IMO the AN's can really deliver if relieved of below 70Hz and not pushed to crazy volumes (and yes I do push crazy volumes at times).

This, in my opinion, is true for any fullrange speaker. Every time I liberated the fullrange from lowest octaves, let's say below 160Hz, the sound in midrange and hights improved by a lot.

Last edited:
music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Another opinion of mine, and it may be to the contrary of others, so do not get upset, is that trying to get great bass from relatively small fullrange by all kinds of contraptions behind (horns and TL's of any sort) is futile exercise. While it may improve bass to some extend, it overstresses the driver and messes up the sound. Subwoofer would do the trick far more effectively. And when done right, result of having fullrange as satelite only with sub is far superior. Just my opinion based on experimentation.

Another opinion of mine, and it may be to the contrary of others, so do not get upset, is that trying to get great bass from relatively small fullrange by all kinds of contraptions behind (horns and TL's of any sort) is futile exercise. While it may improve bass to some extend, it overstresses the driver and messes up the sound. Subwoofer would do the trick far more effectively. And when done right, result of having fullrange as satelite only with sub is far superior. Just my opinion based on experimentation.

I fully agree. I heard horns with a 10cm speaker, and yes there is bass but barely detailed. Bass is one of those things where size does really matter.

I fully agree. I heard horns with a 10cm speaker, and yes there is bass but barely detailed. Bass is one of those things where size does really matter.
.....which is why I think MJK's open baffle project is such an ideal approach. or even a bass reflex with a large-ish woofer and the FR crossed at or around baffle step, such as with the FAST concept. On that note, I always admired Henkjan's speaker with the old alpair 5 and CSS Trio 8 crossed at 300hz.

...trying to get great bass from relatively small fullrange by all kinds of contraptions behind (horns and TL's of any sort) is futile exercise. While it may improve bass to some extend, it overstresses the driver and messes up the sound.

True on some boxes but not the Austin A166. Ron said somewhere (on another forum) that he designs to minimize excursion. Certainly the Austin does not sound even a -bit- stressed at loud volumes, and excursion is minimal (barely visible even with thumping bass and kick drums).

Ron did a lot of interesting optimizations on his horns. He installed pressure sensors, took measurements and kept perfecting. He obsessed about distortion and the shape of the wave as it expands. There are no shortcuts -- absolutely everything appears to be a careful optimization. He was able to account for things other designers cannot see (because he used some industrial wavefront modelling software).

So I don't think there's a general rule that horns/TL's result in too much excursion. I think it's a case of design priorities and how much sweat, ingenuity and math went into the design.

EDIT: Just to clarify, though, I'm also using a 15" woofer crossing at 200Hz on my main system, so yeah, bass.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.