ikea bowl speaker + CHR-70 gen.3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided to make these funky spherical speakers on a whim while hacking the pogoplug into a network wireless music player. I discovered the diyaudio.com forums while looking for a USB soundcard and ended up with a Topping TP30.

It didn't take me long to come across the posts on using ikea wooden "salad" bowls to make a set of unique speakers. There weren't any detailed plans but the forums had plenty of ideas. Also, I decided to use the CHR-70 gen.3 drivers after finding out about them here too.

20111001_014713.jpg

I posted regularly on Google Plus as a semi worklog. If you're interested, you can find the relevant posts here, DIY Spherical Speaker Project @Google+ Sort by "Most Recent" to view them in chronological order. Now, I just have to decide where these are going and make some stands for them!

20111001_014324.jpg

20111001_014351.jpg

Thanks guys! It was great fun building them!

I'm just running them in at low volume atm as Mark suggested I do with the new drivers. They sound very good so far!! However, with them being sealed I get the impression that the bass maybe a bit lacking but it's hard to tell right at the moment.

Thanks guys! It was great fun building them!
I'm just running them in at low volume atm as Mark suggested I do with the new drivers. They sound very good so far!! However, with them being sealed I get the impression that the bass maybe a bit lacking but it's hard to tell right at the moment.

Hi Martin,
Yes, sealed is going to be a limiting factor for the bass. Might be well worth adding a port.
Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll probably end up porting it but I think I will enjoy it as is for a little while before doing so. :)

On a side note, I was talking to a colleague and he said he's willing to part with a Yamaha DSP-A2 at a very favourable price and I was thinking would this make a better accompaniment to these speakers?

Hi Mark,
Thanks for the advice! I think I'll probably end up porting it but I think I will enjoy it as is for a little while before doing so. :)

On a side note, I was talking to a colleague and he said he's willing to part with a Yamaha DSP-A2 at a very favourable price and I was thinking would this make a better accompaniment to these speakers?

Hi Martin,
Glad to help.
I've had a friend in the UK who used this Yam, very good from what I remember. Some care with the volume control would be needed as its quite powerful for the CHR's.
Cheers
Mark.

Hi Mark,

He says it's in quite good nick so I'll probably take him up on the offer!

Anyway, I did some basic calculations and it seems to indicate that the total internal volume of the speakers, without the internal parts and assuming a perfect sphere, is 9.6l. If I minus all the internal parts (and taking a guess at the drivers too) then it comes out to be around 8.8l... If I were to add a port, would I look for an equivalent normal shaped BR box and what the port size for that would be?

Hi Mark,

He says it's in quite good nick so I'll probably take him up on the offer!

Anyway, I did some basic calculations and it seems to indicate that the total internal volume of the speakers, without the internal parts and assuming a perfect sphere, is 9.6l. If I minus all the internal parts (and taking a guess at the drivers too) then it comes out to be around 8.8l... If I were to add a port, would I look for an equivalent normal shaped BR box and what the port size for that would be?

Hi Martin,
If you can get the Yam for a nice price and its in good condition, could be a good buy. Talking of amps, I'm hunting for an all-Japan Luxman 503S this during the coming week in Tokyo - see pic. I've gotta a bit of the "love thing" for vintage Japanese Moffys.

Looking at the bowls, I'd think a 1" (25-mm) diameter port X 50-mm long, Fb around 54Hz, F3 around 49Hz, looks reasonable. This should get you started. I guess you'll try to squeeze them in the lower real bowl? You might want to try 60-mm long to kick off and trim back depending on room placement, your listening preference etc.

Other members might like to try on their software, offer some additional variations on my calcs.

Cheers
Mark.

Attachments

• b.jpg
    b.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 893
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.