10.2 Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alpair 10MAOP?

Hi Bill,
Originally a vented design from Erich in Austria. I tweaked his design to make these cabinets. I like them very much. Bass is good, driver is well damped in this box provided at least 25-mm of good damping material is used on all the internal walls.

Currently being used to test Alpair 10 MAOP drivers. Really smooooth clean sound, a very nice combo.

I can ask Erich if he's happy to share this box plan.

Thanks
Mark.

Hi Mark,

What is the Alpair 10 MAOP cone?
Advantages?
Disadvantages?
Availability?

And I see you are using it in the beautiful box by Erich.

I may be interested in doing this myself.

Hello, i´m also very interrested in this plan. Looks very nice to me. It has the maximum size for me to build! Nothing bigger! Is there a correction network needed for the Alpyir 10.2? If yes, i can´t find it. I have seen there is just a bit of acoustic foarm on each wall. Is this all i need? My favorite music: Jazz, Blues, Rock and Heavy Metal. I want: clear voices, deep room, every instrument located at it's position, --> audiophil and also good for Rock and Metal Is this loudspeaker a good choice for me? Sorry for my bad english. Best Regards Jolly Roger

acoustic foam thickness

Hello, i´m also very interrested in this plan. Looks very nice to me. It has the maximum size for me to build! Nothing bigger! Is there a correction network needed for the Alpyir 10.2? If yes, i can´t find it. I have seen there is just a bit of acoustic foarm on each wall. Is this all i need? My favorite music: Jazz, Blues, Rock and Heavy Metal. I want: clear voices, deep room, every instrument located at it's position, --> audiophil and also good for Rock and Metal Is this loudspeaker a good choice for me? Sorry for my bad english. Best Regards Jolly Roger

Hello!
What's the recommended thickness of the acoustic foam for this box?
Thanks
Adel

Hello!
What's the recommended thickness of the acoustic foam for this box?
Thanks
Adel

edit:
apologies for the messy edit to this post

on further review of this thread, the questions seem to relates to Erich's vented enclosures, the drawing of which are attached to an earlier post by Mark.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/197792-10-2-enclosure.html#post2732791

by scaling the representation of foam to height of slot port, I'd guess at nominally 1/2" pleated foam.

While folks who've heard these may be quite happy with the results, I think a lot of builders (myself included) would generally recommend against using foam, and suggest instead felted cotton or rockwool, fiberglass etc, for wall lining and/or stuffing/ fill.

and yes, I know many well respected commercial manufactures use foam in their enclosures - I've owned many pairs myself.

Last edited:
Hi Mark,
What is the Alpair 10 MAOP cone?
Advantages?
Disadvantages?
Availability?
And I see you are using it in the beautiful box by Erich.
I may be interested in doing this myself.

Hi Gary (guys),
Just taking a break in between assembling more MAOP. Very hot here in ShenZhen (over 30 degrees C). I recommend you do a search on the forum as there's allot of info and comment around.

Advantages:
Individually assembled by senior audio engineers (not kiddies on a production line) fully anechoic tested and pair matched. The MAOP substrate conversion process offers moderate linear damping. Anyone looking to tame compressed source recordings might wish to take advantage. Read Scott's evaluation (post 158).

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/194359-alpair-10-gen-maop-prototype-tw-1-a-16.html

Disadvantages.
Time and cost. MAOP drivers aint cheap. They take allot of time, money and effort to make.

Availability
For Japan, contact Norio Nakajima san: nakajima@fidelitatem-sound.com
For Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand contact Neo Kim Thye: neokimthye@yahoo.com
Rest of the world is me: support@markaudio.com

Back to the workbench I must go.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
edit:
apologies for the messy edit to this post

on further review of this thread, the questions seem to relates to Erich's vented enclosures, the drawing of which are attached to an earlier post by Mark.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/197792-10-2-enclosure.html#post2732791

by scaling the representation of foam to height of slot port, I'd guess at nominally 1/2" pleated foam.

While folks who've heard these may be quite happy with the results, I think a lot of builders (myself included) would generally recommend against using foam, and suggest instead felted cotton or rockwool, fiberglass etc, for wall lining and/or stuffing/ fill.

and yes, I know many well respected commercial manufactures use foam in their enclosures - I've owned many pairs myself.

Thanks chrisb!
Another question, will the Alpair 10.2 work in this enclosure or it's solely for the MAOP?
Cheers,
Adel

Thanks chrisb!
Another question, will the Alpair 10.2 work in this enclosure or it's solely for the MAOP?
Cheers,
Adel

that's probably a question for someone more expert at deciphering the delicacies of TS parameters - but my intuition is that the MAOP wouldn't be all that much of a departure from the standard Alpair10; of the several enclosures in which I've heard the latter, something like the Pensil or Brines' MLTL would be my bet for bang for the buck. You'll get more extended and dynamic bass response than stand mounted "monitors", with the added benefit of not requiring stands - a decent pair of which can easily cost more to buy or build than the stock drivers themselves.

Maybe it's just me, but I finally got around to another listen last night to the 10Ps in the Hartman box (yes, after confirming phase:eek:), and found them lacking dynamics, LF extension and depth/breadth of "soundstage" compared to the FHXLs.

Had dinner guests over, one of whom is a long time musician (acoustic guitar/ electric bass), and his reaction was more prounced than my own - probably as he had no expectations.

Perhaps I am having the same experience with the A10P's in my own BR's. I had them in the 2-ch over stereo subs. They seemed a bit flat and slightly colored in the low midrange. I replaced them with the A7.3's. More open and dynamic. Sounded less colored. I attributed the problem to insufficient break-in and moved the A10P's to the HT for some long term hammering. They are doing an excellent job with movies and TV serials.

Bob

No dispute there Scott - if I was ever disposed to build another "conventional BR" for any of Mark's drivers, it'd be one specifically designed for the chosen driver.

But as the FHs and Pensils work so bloody well with every driver I've heard in them, I'm not sure I could muster the enthusiasm - except of course for a bespoke build. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.