10.2 Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Bill,
Originally a vented design from Erich in Austria. I tweaked his design to make these cabinets. I like them very much. Bass is good, driver is well damped in this box provided at least 25-mm of good damping material is used on all the internal walls.

Currently being used to test Alpair 10 MAOP drivers. Really smooooth clean sound, a very nice combo.

I can ask Erich if he's happy to share this box plan.

Thanks
Mark.

Attachments

• Alp10-MAOP-TW-2.jpg
    Alp10-MAOP-TW-2.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 1,821
  • Alp10-MAOP-TW-1.jpg
    Alp10-MAOP-TW-1.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 1,634
Last edited:
Vented Box fpr Alpair 10

Hi there!

Here is my plan for the vented box for Alpair 10 as seen on Mark's pictures above. Fell free to use this plan for NOT COMMERCIAL purposes and DIY only and by respecting copyrights. For any questions feel free to contact me.

IMHO I think the sound is smooth, warm and very stereoscopic and roomy. It is especially suitable for jazz an acoustic music. However you will like it for its pop/rock performance anyway.

I would be happy if you let me know your opinion and experiences too.
thanks, Erich

Attachments

• Vented_Box_for_Alpair10.pdf
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,098
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,
Our thanks to Erich for publishing this plan.

I'm thinking of producing a different version as there maybe a possible tweak to the vent dimensions. We could afford a slight decrease in the compression loadings within the vent in the 45Hz to 70Hz range. But some care would be needed not to over-load the driver as the compression damping on its power-train will be slightly reduced.

At this time, the existing boxes with the MAOP drivers in them can develop 85dB (peak) @47Hz (generated single wavelength signal) at the vent with less than 2-mm of excursion on the driver's power-train. That's a very good effort from a box of this size and type.

If Erich is interested, I'll see if he'd like to draw it.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
Mark,
Have you had a chance to listen to the dMarKens from Dave? It would be interesting to hear how the two compare.

Hi Buzz,
Yes, Tony had a nice set of dMarkens made in ply. The looked really nice and played beautifully. Comparing the 2 box designs, I'd say Erich's design has a slightly lower/stronger bass, while Dave's bass output is tighter (nice). Both box designs sound good overall. I heard no major vices from either box.

But I haven't measured the output from Dave's and Eric's designs side by side so I can only give you an listening impression.

Cheers
Mark.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Erich's box is based on ~15.5 litre, Mar-Ken10.2 is based on 13 litre so Erich's should have an edge in bass depth. I haven't examined Erich's tuning strategy yet. Don (aka Doorman) is building the beta set of Mar-Ken10.2tt (currently) based on 17 litre (note: there is no dMar-Ken10.2 (deciSize exist for the A7/CHR/CHP) -- althou i may do one similar to Doug Ingram's octogons for those wanting to use as mid-tweeters).

240410d1316273539-mar-ken12-403.jpg

dave

One thing I should mention. Lately at listening events, I've been taking SPL readings. Where possible, measuring outputs from the driver and vent(s) at close range, then from a the listening position (usually 3 to 4 metres distance).

From my memory, both these boxes were doing well in large rooms, easily reaching low 80's dB to 88dB (peak) with moderate peak driver excursions. Nicely within the mechanical capacity of the driver's power-train. These volume levels are getting very close to risk causing hearing damage if sustained for more than 1 hour.

So both boxes are doing a nice job and appear to be optimised (or very close) with their drivers.

Cheers
Mark.

hello from HK

Hi Cloocino,
I've just bought two alpair's 10.2 form Mark. I'm interested on building your enclosures as I find them very well proportioned, might not sound a big compliment in sounds terms but I'm a designer so on top of sound requirements I need the speaker to look nice... big problem some times....
Back to the point, I read there are some modifications suggested by Mark on your original plans, are the downloadable PDF plans already according those suggestions? if not is it possible to have the latest version or some guidance to do it myself? Ill build this in CAD so dimensions could be enough.

Erich's box is based on ~15.5 litre, Mar-Ken10.2 is based on 13 litre so Erich's should have an edge in bass depth. I haven't examined Erich's tuning strategy yet. Don (aka Doorman) is building the beta set of Mar-Ken10.2tt (currently) based on 17 litre (note: there is no dMar-Ken10.2 (deciSize exist for the A7/CHR/CHP) -- althou i may do one similar to Doug Ingram's octogons for those wanting to use as mid-tweeters).

240410d1316273539-mar-ken12-403.jpg

dave
I haven't started building yet, perhaps in the next few weeks.
Dave's (earlier) Mar-Ken cabs for the 10.2 work beautifully in my room.
The most satisfying SD design I've had to date.
best
don

attachment.php

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.