Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th September 2011, 02:50 PM   #1
IG81 is offline IG81  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default My familly of Karlson for fullrange/widerange drivers

Daddy: 1954 Karlsonette, Richard Allan CG10T driver up to 3khz, Selenium D220Ti on Transylvania Power Company "The Tube" taking over above.

Mommy: Super-K8 "SK8" with Philips AD9710.

Baby: 1960 K8 scaled-down 5/8, K5, Vifa C13WG-19-08 widerange woofer. Has been tried with EV TW35 crossed over nominally at 20kHz.

Familly portrait:

Click the image to open in full size.

It would be fun to come up with a good-sounding design for 4"-6" affordable fullrange drivers, likely lowish/mid-Qts. This would probably be of higher aspect and might be thought of as a tapped-TL.

IG
Old 29th September 2011, 03:34 PM   #2
Vix is offline Vix  Yugoslavia
diyAudio Member

Nice. Not so many people are building Karlsons these days, but I'm sure they could sound good...
Old 29th September 2011, 03:41 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vix View Post
Nice. Not so many people are building Karlsons these days, but I'm sure they could sound good...
The larger models, K15 and K12 can sound quite good with the right driver. Getting down to the old factory 8K size introduced some problems. The above pictured SK8 is somewhat larger than this and does well enough. I plan to try a more suited driver in there though.

Smaller units should be made taller than what linear scale-down suggests, with a large top-vent IMO.

IG
Old 29th September 2011, 03:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

That`s a beautiful collection you have built. Keep it up. One more pair and you will gain `Kanuck Kollector`status in the Order of Karlson. Best regards Moray James.
Old 29th September 2011, 03:49 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

That looks like a nice man-cave too, with fishing tackle in one corner, and a guitar in the other

vac
Old 29th September 2011, 03:56 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moray james View Post
That`s a beautiful collection you have built. Keep it up. One more pair and you will gain `Kanuck Kollector`status in the Order of Karlson. Best regards Moray James.
Maybe some new K4 or small Klam before cold season sets in. I might consider building K15 next summer and putting some serious woofer in it, like AE Lambda TD15M. I'd likely have to get rid of the K12 though, not enough space for both. Despite being the only item not DIY'ed in there, I'm especially proud of my original "The Tube" pair; these don't grow in trees but practically fell into my hands when the time was right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vacuphile View Post
That looks like a nice man-cave too, with fishing tackle in one corner, and a guitar in the other

vac
Yeah, that's my room for all the stuff that would be too unsightly elsewhere.

IG

Last edited by IG81; 29th September 2011 at 03:59 PM.
Old 29th September 2011, 04:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

IG: I built a pair if K15 with 15 Selenium drivers (forget which now) and they just blew me away. I built them at a friends shop and when I installed the drivers we hooked one of them up to an old 50 watt receiver. We turned it up so loud that we had to yell just to converse at 25 feet from. When I walked up to the cabinet I was amazed to see that even on the peaks the driver was only moving perhaps a sixteenth of an inch peak. You will want to brace the back and the tapers well so they don`t flap in the breeze as these cabinets can shake it up. All my other Karlson projects were K-Lines of one size or another aside from a high aspect set of Fostex FE206e designed by Carl. Keep up the good work. Best regards Moray James.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:03 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
IG: I built a pair if K15 with 15 Selenium drivers (forget which now) and they just blew me away. I built them at a friends shop and when I installed the drivers we hooked one of them up to an old 50 watt receiver. We turned it up so loud that we had to yell just to converse at 25 feet from. When I walked up to the cabinet I was amazed to see that even on the peaks the driver was only moving perhaps a sixteenth of an inch peak. You will want to brace the back and the tapers well so they don`t flap in the breeze as these cabinets can shake it up. All my other Karlson projects were K-Lines of one size or another aside from a high aspect set of Fostex FE206e designed by Carl. Keep up the good work. Best regards Moray James.
I think I've seen your K5-TL pics around, pretty nice indeed! Sounds like you have/had a little K-familly as well.

BTW, ever seen any factory Karlsons up here in Canada? I can't say I've seen'em here in Québec, but I haven't know about them for that long.

IG
Old 29th September 2011, 05:56 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Yes I have built a reasonable collection as I was so inspired by Freddy and was never disapointed by them. No you don`t see many Karlson`s in Kanada I did see a pair of K15 in Kabec on ebay a long time ago. I still have the urge to build a few more Karksons yet but it will be a while. Try turning your small K`s on their sides with the bottoms toward the outside walls (up on stands). I really liked my K-Line FE166e Fostex that way. YMMV as I use different style tapers but give it a try. Best regards Moray James.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:12 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Yes I have built a reasonable collection as I was so inspired by Freddy and was never disapointed by them. No you don`t see many Karlson`s in Kanada I did see a pair of K15 in Kabec on ebay a long time ago. I still have the urge to build a few more Karksons yet but it will be a while. Try turning your small K`s on their sides with the bottoms toward the outside walls (up on stands). I really liked my K-Line FE166e Fostex that way. YMMV as I use different style tapers but give it a try. Best regards Moray James.
I had them on their sides for a while, but on a computer desk, with more or less worked. Maybe on stands it would be better as you suggest.

About your small K5-TL, did you ever measure it's impedance or response curve? How was subjective performance, especially tonal balance?

IG

Hide this!Advertise here!