Shhh...don't tell Dave.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
When I was at his place a couple weekends ago, I noticed an awfully lonely looking set of cabinets in a back corner somewhere and being the charitable and fostering kind of guy I thought I'd do us both a favour and pop in them in the back of my truck when he wasn't looking. I had to tell my wife I had no idea how they got there but I suspected Dave had something to do with it. OK, safe for now. Well it's been a couple weeks so I decided to make use of a slow afternoon and have at look at things. A bit of hole cutting, some wiring, a few screws and guess what?

Wait till Dave finds out that not only are the cabinets missing but they sound better than expected. The RS 1354's have had the Dave treatment so I know in his heart he would like them to be in a good place and now they are.

On the back I have put some Eastech woofers salvaged from a centre channel speaker. The drivers are in series with a 125mfd shunt on the woofer. Bottom ported and screws for the feet. Talk about Frugal, Dave will be proud.

Wowza! No time to type I'm heading back for another listen. These little things are going to make Dave nervous I'll tell ya. :D

Attachments

• IMG_1901.jpg
    IMG_1901.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1902.jpg
    IMG_1902.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 378
Just wait for your wife telling you in unresistable manner " Honey ,they are so cute and sound sooo good, why not get rid of all that cumbersome altec dreck..."
That's ok, the Altec stuff is at the other place so no problem. :)

:D
Good to see them in use... they were headed for the bonfire.
Bad Dave. Is that how you treat all your children?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Raising them

I have some of those same speaker stands. One trick we used was short feet on the back & a long one on the front centre.

BTW: these are diyA FR Ref straight bipole boxes (recently pointed to in the FA120 thread)

And now that i have had a chance to go check out where these were hiding they indeed are missing (if Cal's pictures weren't enuff evidence)

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.