Alpair 7.3 Heresy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Having an impulsive streak on the back of adventures with Alpair 6P, I got myself some shiny new 7.3's. (Thanks to Mark for excellent customer service when I had a problem with the order, by the way)

I bodged a baffle for some cast off experimental 10litre sand filled enclosures to gain some impressions. Running them in it became apparent they do have quite remarkable resolution, but as anticipated are not the most flattering of poor source material/equipment.

In a bid to make the running in a little more tolerable and curiosity, I added some naked Eton ER4 AMT's which are currently looking for a home via a knock up capacitor-less AR-SXO. I tweaked values to cross over around 5kHz. The plot is on tweeter axis. (windowed don't take any notice of the low end)

Oh my, sometimes a happy accident can shift your whole perspective. This unplanned, collision of parts makes seriously good music. The resolution and harmonic integrity is just beautiful as long as you keep to moderate spl's. It retains all of the openness of the single driver with top to bottom coherency. Which leads me to a bigger question. Maybe the best thing to do with a full range is to run it multi-way? :D

Attachments

• Alp7.3 + ER4.JPG
    Alp7.3 + ER4.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 1,321
  • Alp7.3 + ER4 response.JPG
    Alp7.3 + ER4 response.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 1,293
Dosen't the 7.3 have greater extension than your ribbon? I think you are right about the multi-way, just the other way.

+2 AFAIC, the top couple of octaves is not this driver's weakness; it has very few actually - not being a 1000w rated THX certified sub (joking), and the dimensions of the mounting flange make them tricky to flush rebate in thinner panels.

Active with stereo line level XO on 7.3 between 120-150 to your favorite woofer. There are a lot of very nice 6-8" units that would blend very well, including Mark's own EL166/ Woofer 6, or you could go for something bigger like 12-18" in H-frames.

Last edited:
Maybe the best thing to do with a full range is to run it multi-way?

Perhaps not the "best" way but certainly imho one of the better compromises:D

I have found, by and large, releasing a F.R. driver from the responsibility of the bottom octave or two improves resolution and yes, we are now talking about a 2 way speaker.

The only Markaudio driver I have heard is my Alpair 6's, the original metal coned versions which are very nice. I have only played them full range however.

Having said all that, my favorite compromise is still using a F.R. driver full range. I have found when crossing over to a subwoofer or woofer I always find some integration issues but the issues varies with the music, perhaps the way it is mixed? I don't use a tweeter very often as my hearing is not what it used to be and as long as the midrange is right, I'm happy.

In my humble and biased opinion, the more difficult range for a full range speaker, especially one with the hf extension of the 7.3, is the low frequency. Simon's design seems to build on the weakness of the 7.3 and eliminate its strengths.

Tell me you didn't REALLY put a choke on that 7.3.

+2 AFAIC, the top couple of octaves is not this driver's weakness; it has very few actually - not being a 1000w rated THX certified sub (joking), and the dimensions of the mounting flange make them tricky to flush rebate in thinner panels.

Active with stereo line level XO on 7.3 between 120-150 to your favorite woofer. There are a lot of very nice 6-8" units that would blend very well, including Mark's own EL166/ Woofer 6, or you could go for something bigger like 12-18" in H-frames.

Actually, have a look at the Peerless 830667 8" woofer. Looks like it would be a good match for the 7.3, especially using a passive 1st order crossover at around 300hz - 400hz. Seems to model pretty well in a 1.0 to 1.5 cu ft sealed box or a small ported box.

Well I thought that my little exploration might possibly raise a reaction, woo! Silverhairbp's overstating the case when he kindly refers to it as a "design."

I DO intend to FAST them, that's what I bought them for.

I was just messing around trying out the AR-SXO crossover topology for the first time, while breaking them in on my office system. (0.1mH, 8R2, 0.4mH btw Ultrakaz)

I think I should have made it clearer that my only point is: fool around sometimes good things happen that you don't expect.

Hi Simon,

You were clear enough. You opted to share your favorable result/discovery, but were met with negative responses from those who have not even heard your implementation. Good grief(!), I'm a bit surprised by the responses. Why not cross the 7.3 to a tweeter? Perhaps, one doesn't like the treble coming off a 4" aluminum cone, notwithstanding beaming and/or breakup. Personally, I think the 7.3 would make an awesome mid where the driver is being used in its most effective pass band, or even a mid-woofer where shallow slopes could be used in a smallish box. Keep up the "heresy", and don't be afraid to go outside the lines with creativity.

Last edited:
Simon / ultrakaz, et al

Based on personal experience , I think the 7.3 could most cost effectively benefit from assistance in the lower (several?) octave(s?) - such as in a 5 or 7.1 HT surround system. Could be a matter of individual hearing acuity - my own upper register is shot, and like GM, tinnitus is a constant tizzing buzz that sorta interferes with hearing the good and sometimes bad from around 6000 up - but I don't find the Alpair7 deficient or unlistenable in that range.

Not having extensively lived with either the 10.2 or 12, I can't speak to how much or at what frequency they might benefit from tweeters.

Hi Buzzforb.

Have look at this:

AR-SXO crossover

Its been discussed a fair bit on DIYAudio I think, do a search on series crossovers and AR-SXO.

Ultrakatz thanks, having heard what little damage this set up did to the Alpair7.3, I'd like to try the heretical tweeter with a Alpair 12, I have a hunch there would actually be a point to that.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/97312-adding-tweeter-full-range.html

I've read about a capacitor-less highpass a few times before. Seems like it would blow up that tweeter if that lone resistor fails. Still, that tweeter is going to be stressed. And first order too.

Hmm, might work with A12 and A6 (or A5, which I happen to have a pair...) at around 1kHz. However, with the A7.3 you can run the tweeter higher and out of the critical 4kHz range, which the A12 is already starting to beam and break-up. Though, it may not matter if you listen further than 2.5m or so.

Keep us posted on your findings.

Not sure what the crossover was since that was 35 years ago. Yikes. They were ESS speakers. Yea I'm sure they were clipping their amps but the ribbons seemed to be particularly susceptible to it. Could be that they were inefficient and just cranked too high. Don't remember. I never really liked the sound that much either but I'd try them again if the price was right.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.