open baffle project

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is a project that I have been working on for a while. It is an open baffle "hybrid" two-way design. Open baffle part is an 8" fullrange driver, there is also a 12" sub in a sealed down firing cabinet.
Bla bla bla......here is the build. Comments welcome......

Here is a 3D model of the finished product.
bossetowerlineand3d.jpg

Onto the construction.

A pile of CNC cut parts to be assembled.
photo.jpg

First the sub. It is made up of 3/4"MDF layers. The wall thickness of the cabinet ranges from 1"-3 1/2" thick. Very STOUT.

Now for gluing, stacking, and clamping......

photo-1.jpg

photo-4.jpg

Here is the sub cabinet.....minus the two layers that will make up the top.

photo-3.jpg

Same process for the tower.

photo-2.jpg

Here is one sub and one tower glued together and ready for sanding then fiberglass.

photo-5.jpg

Here with the insert in place. The insert will eventually have an exotic veneer applied.

photo-12.jpg

Now for the sanding......

photo-7.jpg

photo-8.jpg

And some fiberglass.

photo-14.jpg

photo-19.jpg

photo-10.jpg

Next is some filler to make sure these are smoooooooth. After all they are going to be painted a high gloss black.

IMG_0537.jpg

Starting to get a flat surface.

photo-11.jpg

Here is the fit on the insert.

photo-15.jpg

photo-17.jpg

Here is a close-up shot of the Bosse veneers grain.

PA090201.jpg

Applying the veneer.

tower.....

photo-9.jpg

sub......

photo-13.jpg

Here are the pieces trimmed and ready for a lot of clear to get a mirror finish.

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0545.jpg

photo-18.jpg

Finally attached the base for the tower.

IMG_0535.jpg

IMG_0536.jpg

Here is the base for the sub cabinet. Both the sub and the tower have spikes as well.

photo-16.jpg

Here is one sub/tower ready for paint. The other soon to follow.

IMG_0538.jpg

Notice the sub doesn't contact the tower anywhere. This is to prevent any vibration that the sub cabinet might have from being transmitted to the tower.

IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0540.jpg

Last edited:
Let me be the first (no offense intended)
YOU SIR, ARE CRAZY !!!!

I love builds like this, a lot of thought went into these, you can tell only by the pictures, and the amount of wood, I don't even dare to guess.
Very nice, very tasty aesthetics
Fingers crossed for the sound to be of equal quality

Danny

>>> Bla bla bla......here is the build. Comments welcome......

It looks ok.

If you are unhappy with the shoddy work and crappy sound, rather than throw them away, i'd be happy to pay shipping to my house and see if i can make something decent from all these parts you cobbled together.

Curious, are you using one or two downfiring subs?

Zilla

:D

One 12" sub per tower.

Last edited:
I think TB 1808 in ob or sealed paired with a sub or some other type of bass system like H-frames is a fantastic combination. The 1808 has a bit of a sonic signature in the mids that's not quite neutral but i like them anyway. They are very detailed and easy on the ears. They produce great 'tone' and satisfy. Mine are in storage but this inspiring project has put my mind back on them.

I'm curious, what inspired you to make this design? It's very well thought out with regard to the overall look, elegant curves, details (i love how the sub is separate from the baffle and sits in it's own nook), how the back of the driver just clears the top of the sub, etc...

It reminds me a bit of this but it's completely different.

http://lampizator.eu/SPEAKERS/PROJECTS/P17/Endorphine from Kingston Kitchen.html

Last edited:
Godzilla: I agree on the tone and range from 200-20000, it is perfect for me and easy to listen to for long periods of time. I have lost hearing from 17000 and up, so the rise in the top in that is natural with the driver does not effect my listening at all. I thing I may switch out the driver in a month for a sudo drop in foster 225wk like Dave stated, and then leave it in my sons room with the Decware amp. I will build a a new from baffle that rises out from a a sub 12 or new sub 8 from GR research like the image here, but with just one 1808 on the front. Pair it with a side fire 12 of front fire pair of 8's servos and it will be great. Now i just need to find somewhere to put them...???? link to image...x-otica - av123

Attachments

• GW660H495.jpeg
    GW660H495.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 996
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.