CSS EL70

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Stock EL70

attachment.php

my EL70eN (matched pairs)

El70eN2.jpg

dave

Attachments

• EL70_1.jpg
    EL70_1.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 539
I'd crossover at 200 hz and see if I can get satisfactory performance using the Yamaha bass management. If not and I have to go with 'real' bi-amping, the xover would be around 300. I do occasionally listen loud but in a small room. Knowing me like I do I'll probably end up with both el70s and alpair6ps eventually. Need to keep watch though because, if I read Mark correctly, the el70s are limited to stock on hand and more won't be made without substantial requests.

I'd crossover at 200 hz and see if I can get satisfactory performance using the Yamaha bass management. If not and I have to go with 'real' bi-amping, the xover would be around 300. I do occasionally listen loud but in a small room. Knowing me like I do I'll probably end up with both el70s and alpair6ps eventually. Need to keep watch though because, if I read Mark correctly, the el70s are limited to stock on hand and more won't be made without substantial requests.

Hmmm ... wasn't Mark's reply at one of the other threads targeted more towards the No 3 Tweeter and No 6 Woofer rather than the EL70s? (ERT26 and EL166 in CSS nomenclature)

Not here. I guess Dave's treatment tames that tiger. I find them a little reserved at the top.

Seems reasonable. Not having the patience or steady hand these days to attempt such fine detail, I resorted to my tried n' true 'shotgun' approach of masking the DC and 'shooting' them with a controlled pattern of Dammar. I imagine a bit flatter in response overall compared to yours, but even with the DC and outer rim area untreated, still could use an ultrasonic tweeter for some top end 'air'. Not that I can hear it anymore per se......... :(

GM

Sorry to hear that GM but your avatar might be a clue :) Try this trick I learned from my old piano tuning days. About a hour before your listening session put in some foam earplugs. When you remove them you'll hear highs like you haven't heard in years - for a while at least. Not sure why but it works for me.

On the Mark Audio forum in his thread on current drivers he replied to my question about el166s and said he listed the el70 as a current driver because CSS had some in stock which I took to mean he wasn't going to make more. May need to ask him directly about it. Hope I'm wrong.

The EL70 was an OEM design for Bob Reimer/CS, and yes, unless he (Bob) has a change of mind, will be limited to his remaining stock. Even without the EnABL treatment, it's a helluva performer - IMO, close to what I'd imagine a budget paper Alpair7 might be.

Mark's design goals for the CHP70.2 were certainly different than for the EL70, and having recently heard both, I think it's fair to say that he achieved them.

In addition to ongoing efforts to streamline production steps and enhance cost efficiencies, as per a couple of comments in this sticky post

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/196674-markaudio-drivers-models-sept-2011-a.html

Mark has already and might yet again consider requests for revisions to tailoring driver's response. Of course he'd need to be confident of marketability of any of these customized versions.

The Alpair6P is very very nice, and of all the MA papers would be my candidate for mid tweet for a FAST.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The EL70 was an OEM design for Bob Reimer/CSS, and yes, unless he (Bob) has a change of mind, will be limited to his remaining stock. Even without the EnABL treatment, it's a helluva performer - IMO, close to what I'd imagine a budget paper Alpair7 might be.

Bob still has >200 units, i have about 60, and there are units at distribs in Europe & Oz. So unless there is a really big run, they should be around for awhile.

I personally, would like to see Mark put back the highs for the next CHPs. Or, if a consortium could be put together to cover a 1,000 drivers there is likely nothing to stop a resurrection with or without Bob's help. EL70 the Next Generation.

Ryan, I have a road kit of milliSize for comparing EL70 vrs CHP70 (stock), after Kyle has them would you like to lend your ears? Anyone else on the islamd is also welcome to borrow the comparoKit.

dave

still could use an ultrasonic tweeter for some top end 'air'.
Agreed.
Not that I can hear it anymore per se......... :(
Understood.

put in some foam earplugs. When you remove them you'll hear highs like you haven't heard in years - for a while at least. Not sure why but it works for me.
Compensation.

Sorry to hear that GM but your avatar might be a clue :)

About a hour before your listening session put in some foam earplugs.

LOL! :D Thanks for the thought, but that avatar doesn't offer even a clue to what I've subjected my hearing to over the decades. FWIW though, I got my tinnitus from having my ears drained of fluid repeatedly in various unpleasant ways between around age 18 mos - 5 yrs old, so I've never known 'silent' hearing and was a teen before I knew it wasn’t normal.

Works for me. Others I’ve shared it with also. It’s a trick I learned from a neurosurgeon cousin back in the ‘70s to initially help me get to sleep. Combined with sleeping on an incline and taking an aspirin with a tumbler full of water whenever I lay down to rest for any length of time, it temporarily quells most of the ‘roar’.

The downside to this trick though is that during the few years of the Atlanta DIY Meets, the typically flat to up-tilted HF response of two and three-way cone/dome designs had me usually exiting the room post haste, presumably due to me not being used to such ‘shrillness’, though the ribbon Jim Griffin used in his little Jordan monitor was smooth at modest SPL and there was a two-way with a Vifa aluminum domed tweeter [historically, I can’t stand Vifa drivers] that sounded as smooth as Altec 1” compression drivers, just a lot less dynamic/efficient of course. Unfortunately, I’ve lost the model number, so no clue if it’s still available or of the same specs/quality.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.