Alpair 7 & cabinets - opinions sought - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th September 2011, 05:37 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
congratulations on the raffle prize! I envy you (slightly).
Thanks. Headed over to Chris's house later today to hear the Pensils.

jeff
Old 18th September 2011, 06:47 PM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibujeff View Post
So Dave, of all those speakers in that picture, which ones do you enjoy listening to the most and why?
Put me on the spot why don't you

Fortunately i don't have to pick in real life.

Fortunately at least one contender isn't in the picture (dMAr-Ken7 with A7eN) ... when i start weighing them it gets hard to pick a "if i could only have 1), but the pair that first popped to the top of the list was the Mar-Kel70 so let's go with the gut reaction. Lot's of buts... because all of these have their strengths.

Smooth, unreal bass (likely the lowest of the lot), neutral midrangs (but took at least 500 hrs to get there (and not just playing background music, i'm thinking of popping in EnABL2 versions but...), image like crazy (box dissapears, wall behind the speaker does too), will dig deep down into the music if it is there on the recording, yet doesn't completely destroy less than stellar stuff. Chris picked a fantastic piece of veneer for these and they have one of the more pleasing aspect ratios of all the miniOnken.

I'm currently listening to the bamboo Fonken with FF125wk (stock). They show a lot of promise, the box is too big, and they have some rough edges that keep popping up every nce in awhile (i'm pretty sure most of those can be made to go away with treatment)

The green mFonken, the mMar-Kel70, & the uFonken have been in regular rotation in my (much smaller) office. The new FF85wk, in direct comparison to the older, wins by a margin so they will trump the old one, and a recent listing session between the 3 new small drivers (FF85wk, A6.2P, A6.2M) leaves us undecided on which balance of compromises works best (and that will be system dependent)

Going the other way, which i could least live with (i could live with any of them (as long as i could treat the stock drivers))... the green CHR-Ken with the new (stock) CHR70.3 (they were better with older treated drivers, i am in the midst of treating the 1st of the new CHR), the 3 3" based boxes mentioned earlier would need bass support for long term satisfaction in the main room (i do have 5 woofers within spitting distance).

Again, very glad i don't have to pick in real life. All these speakers (and the picture is but a subset of miniOnken), with new ones happening all the time, there are always good ones that have served their purpose and need to go to new homes (cheap)

Note that the balance of room, and amplification will stir the order.

Any questions?

dave

Note: all drivers but CHR70.3 a pair of A10, and FF125wk have been p10ed (except for some purposely left stock to allow direct comparisons)
Old 18th September 2011, 07:20 PM   #33
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

Dave,

You don't mention the Mar-Ken10 and Mar-Ken 12T... .
Old 18th September 2011, 07:35 PM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman01 View Post
Dave,

You don't mention the Mar-Ken10 and Mar-Ken 12T... .
Nope, they are hanging out mid-field & won't fit in my office. They are not slouches by any stretch of the imagination.

I have 2 sets of Mar-Ken12t, with 1 set of drivers... i need to find a home for one set of boxes.

dave
Old 18th September 2011, 08:57 PM   #35
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default when I grow up I wanna be just like Dave...

All: Just hoping to never grow up

One day soon when I win the lottery, I'll lobby hard for a grannyshack in Dave's backyard, then finance an "audio" lab for all folks planet10 (Dave, Chris and Daniel), as long as I can hang out.

Jeff: I hope the pencils are everything they proport to be (and why not, look who has designed them and built them).

Dave: I thought you folks had done the sub/woofer pair, just couldn't remember for sure. Leave a 20' X 25' spot for the grannyshack. Just need to level the ground and start building, or get something the right size delivered. (Hmmm, a garage package might do the trick or a 2 storey "barn" style builing with a hip roof or a 3 or so cargo containers.

Slightly OT: has anybody heard from or about old Aengus? Hope all is well with him

Last edited by Nanook; 18th September 2011 at 09:04 PM. Reason: smiley added as an image?
Old 25th October 2011, 12:32 PM   #36
diyAudio Member

How is the project progressing?

I started a similar thread here, if anyone has any more comments.....
Old 25th October 2011, 12:41 PM   #37
diyAudio Member

Thanks for asking Studio Au. Sadly the project has stalled for want of funds. Boo. Hopefully after Christmas I can get it started properly. Really looking forward to hearing the Pensils.
Old 25th October 2011, 04:03 PM   #38
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeak View Post
My only gripe with the Pensils is that the driver just seems set too low.
+1

I would have to try: ~1.443 ft^3 = 56.00" x 6.00" x 7.43" [i.d.], driver down 56*0.349 = ~19.5", 2" dia. [~3.1416"^2] vent near/at bottom - damp to 'taste'.

GM
Old 25th October 2011, 11:33 PM   #39
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM View Post
2" dia. [~3.1416"^2] vent near/at bottom
How long Greg?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: gif GM-A73-MLTL-plan.gif (121.0 KB, 205 views)
Old 26th October 2011, 01:32 AM   #40
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

3/4" is what I'd try first. This in theory will get it down around 40 Hz at a very low vent mach once damped.

GM

Hide this!Advertise here!