Jordan Watts Modular Speakers 40W

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
IMGP3706-XL.jpg

In my opinion, this is easily the best wide band driver that has appeared to date. There are of course some remaining problems.

I had those in 1976. A revelation at the time, but quite coloured. I was just recently offered some, and turned them down

The new Jordans are better (as one would expect givn 25+ years of improvement), and the latest gen of metal coned Mark Audio even better yet.

dave

My position on old stuff like Jordan Modules, is enjoy them for what they are. A vintage motorbike is slower, corners less well than a modern bike, and in those terms is not as good. Unfortunately, the vintage machine is more fun to use for some.

I like to play the Jordans with my Leak Troughline tuner, Rogers Cadet integrated (both modest but good in their day) of a similar vintage. Chrisb and Colin would drool over the cabinet materials (3/4" 11ply) and Dave would like the rectangular tunnel port. Conspiracy theorists will enjoy the capacitors inside that are not connected to anything at all.

I've just made them more original looking by installing expanded metal grilles. So yes, Dave, they are coloured - gold coloured!

not really - there's naught much wrong with current Baltic Birch or Apple-ply grade multi-ply

18mm by Murphy Hardwood of Oregon - 13ply core plus WPF maple face veneers, NAUF Phenolic glue

Good stuff I agree - many cabs you can buy at a dealer for a reasonable price use it? Or is it just you fanatics? If I ever build another set of speakers I will be looking very closely at what you guys in another rainy Northwest are up to.

Cheers Steve

Good stuff I agree - many cabs you can buy at a dealer for a reasonable price use it? Or is it just you fanatics? If I ever build another set of speakers I will be looking very closely at what you guys in another rainy Northwest are up to.

Cheers Steve

Not likely to the former, and for many additional reasons, definitely yes to the second part of the latter.

I've not heard the Alpair (would like to sometime) but found the JX92 very amplifier sensitive. It brings out the worst in class-D Tripath amps, for example.

Back to the Jordan module - the original brochure had a number of enclosure designs for these, so if determined to stay retro it would be in the spirit to build one of those to house them. Like all of life, it's on the net

http://www.drmarksays.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/jw-of-sales-brochure.pdf

PS If you save the PDF to hard disk, the plans read better than in a browser.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
PS If you save the PDF to hard disk, the plans read better than in a browser.

That must depend on your browser. Looks the same when i look at it in iCab vrs Preview...

Long before the internet I remember sitting reading that brochure.

We mounted our Jordan-Watts into a wall mounted TL.

dave

Attachments

• jordanwatts-TL.jpg
    jordanwatts-TL.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 196
I've not heard the Alpair (would like to sometime) but found the JX92 very amplifier sensitive. It brings out the worst in class-D Tripath amps, for example.

Ah yes, that makes sense! When I compared the JX92 to the Alpair 10 I was using a Tripath. The JX92 was really unpleasant - the Alpair was really nice. That's full range. I've heard better results with the JX92 crossing over to ribbon tweeters. I'd have to say that to my ears the Alpair was simply a much better unit all round, though, and that was the Gen 1 one. The Gen 2 should be better still.

andy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.