Jordan Watts Modular Speakers 40W - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2011, 04:05 PM   #11
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Seems mad to me, too. Final price was 467. Presumably a very keen collector.

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace
Old 14th September 2011, 04:43 PM   #12
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The guy with the big bucks must have been a collector with money to burn (must have been at least 2 of them).

I imported a pair of those Jordan Watts modules from Wilmslow in 1975.

These are quite "colourful" and as Colin says weak on the top end. Pretty amazing for the day. I was recently offered 4 of these for $100. Turned the offer down.

These are probably better all round http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-silver-cone/

dave
Old 14th September 2011, 05:45 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

These are probably better all round http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...m-silver-cone/

Cute little units! Have you heard them? May be useful in multiples or arrays?

A cheaper JX92 clone is the Monacor SPH-130AL. Not bad at all - I used them happily for years. The Visaton AL130 clone is very similar, and all roughly the same size and build - pretty much drop-ins for each other. Tempting to use either of those in a bipole.

Andy
Old 14th September 2011, 06:10 PM   #14
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyjevans View Post
Have you heard them? May be useful in multiples or arrays?
Yes. Quite good, their biggest failing seeming to be a bit undynamic.

We are working on an array using the Fountek FR88ex, i'll let you know how i feel about arrays once done. It is a step up from the Aura (but with the hike in Neo prices have pushed themselves up into FF85wk & Alpair6 territory and made it a LOT harder to be competitive price wise)

dave
Old 14th September 2011, 06:56 PM   #15
stevieg is offline stevieg  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Seems mad to me, too. Final price was 467. Presumably a very keen collector.
I've got six! These and two spares. I'm rich!

Click the image to open in full size.

I'm not claiming startling fabulousness, but I like 'em, despite their faults. They work well with my Rogers Cadet, which is not over watted.

Cheers, Steve
Old 14th September 2011, 07:20 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieg View Post
I've got six! These and two spares. I'm rich!

Cheers, Steve
That this one auction ended with such a result doesn`t mean that You will yield something only remotely similar automatically (not even when Your`s would be in better condition).
Ebay is a wierd place where all sorts of things can and do happen all the time. One time You get 500, next time only 50, for the same thing.
467 is IMO really insane and You need at least two completely crazy bidders (or "a little help of some friends".....) to reach such a price.
Anyway, I wish You good luck!
Old 27th March 2012, 10:03 PM   #17
TLS Guy is offline TLS Guy  United States
diyAudio Member

I have gradually been updating my web page on the Jordan Watts Modular loudspeaker. For any of you interested in this driver, I think you will find some very useful information on my Jordan Watts page.

Click the image to open in full size.

In my opinion, this is easily the best wide band driver that has appeared to date. There are of course some remaining problems.

I think the time has come to apply modern manufacturing techniques to this driver, to address the problems and increase power handling.

I think it is capable of development into a powerful very wide band mid range driver.

I would be very interested to know if there is enthusiasm for this.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Colin is offline Colin  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Modern techniques have been applied - it's called the Jordan JX92 and a new version of that is in the works from Ted Jordan

E.J.Jordan Designs loudspeaker design & consultancy

The Jordan Module is good and particularly so for it's time. I've heard both the module and the original J92 and they were a little weak in the treble - although arguably the JX92 goes the other way.
Old 28th March 2012, 02:56 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I haven't heard the original module for a long time, but recently had both the JX92 and the Mark Audio Aplair 10 in the same 21 litre MLTL enclosure.

The Alpair 10 absolutely destroys the Jordan - smoother, better bass and all-round much more musical. I got really tired of the JX92 - hard sounding upper mids got on my nerves. Amp was a 300b SET of good quality. Happy with the Alpair 10 and would absolutely not have another JX92 in my system.

Madisound has these currently for $110. At that price I wouldn't hesitate for a second. One observation - the cone is very delicate and must absolutely not be touched by anything. I put a small ding in mine just with the end of a piece of wire! Didn't affect the sound at all.

http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com...rch_str=alpair

andy

Last edited by andyjevans; 28th March 2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 28th March 2012, 06:42 PM   #20
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

No doubt the module deserved its acclaim as "state of the art wide-band" when introduced over 40yrs ago, but time has moved on.

Without getting into the ongoing politics , both Ted and Mark Fenlon have spent considerable time advancing well beyond that point, and while I've not heard the most recent "official Jordans", the current Alpairs are very special.

Hide this!Advertise here!