Madisound BK12m

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have heard rumors that people actually burn these Fostex enclosures to keep warm whilst listening to their ipods with very cheap headphones.

The Fostex designs for the FE126 are particularily bad... the TL/BR hybrid has you thinking about a pair of woofers right off the bat (in which case a small sealed makes WAY more sense, and the BR has been described as a "cruel joke"

The fires are usually big & outdoors. They need to be really hot to burn up the glues.

dave

I have a corner style Mantle in a small living room approx 15x15.

If i dont have clear corners to place MK3's in, would the BK12 be a better suit?

What are the advantages of the BK12 over the MK3 design for the same FE126en speaker?

(Using a miniwatt amp)
Walt

The BK-12m should be less room placement sensitive than the FHMK3 and might prove to be a better back yard picnic speaker where no walls or corners are available. I suppose a scaled up a redesigned BK-12m for the FE166En might prove practical. Very few good enclosures exist for this driver. There is the Victor,(kind of tall), and the Austin,(kind of complicated).

The BK-12m should be less room placement sensitive than the FHMK3 and might prove to be a better back yard picnic speaker where no walls or corners are available.
now that's cute -

as well, the FH3 was intentionally designed with latitude for a range of small wide band drivers, while the BK12 was optimized specifically for the FE126En

I suppose a scaled up a redesigned BK-12m for the FE166En might prove practical. Very few good enclosures exist for this driver. There is the Victor,(kind of tall), and the Austin,(kind of complicated).

Yes, if you have the space, Victor works very well, but is certainly more obtrusive than either the FH3 or BK12

If i were to put a rounded edge on the mouth opening of the horn, for cosmetics, would this affect sound in any noticable way?
I was thinking og putting a router to all 4 sides of the opening before the box goes together.

I'm thinking he means using a small round-over bit on the 4 sections of sides, bottom and front baffle panel that outline the mouth opening.

probably not much noticeable affect would be my intuition

What about feet for the BK12m? Are cones or spikes desired? This looks like a great kit. I think I may order one up.

Bill

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

After damaging both hardwood and carpets floors with them, I try to avoid the sharper spikes, but rather like the larger cones such as:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

These particular ones from Parts Express

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=240-715http://

have cups to prevent damage when used on hardwood/ laminate/tile floors.

The only down side to using this type on cabinets as narrow of the BK12 is the net mounting spacing required for the cone bodies to fit under the panel sides.

Personally, I'd cut some solid wood or aluminum to make outriggers - can add an nice aesthetic touch, but more importantly provides greater stability.

Send me an email at zillaspeakers@gmail.com and i will send the BIB spreadsheet. I must have sent 20+ this week... everyone should have a copy on their computer! LOL

I am going to try to get it on my site again this weekend... i need to noodle around in my GoDaddy account to make it work. A surprising pain in the a**!

The entire BIB site was destroyed during the move from one host to another... files seem ok but must re link everything and their interface suuuuucks!

Thank G-d for the speaker forums or i'd lose my mind completely during this divorce (about a month and a half into this and it's getting nasty... 'wife' charged over $52,000 in last three months i am half responsible for... GRRRRRR)! Setup the OB 12lta's last weekend at my parents house and thrilled my father. They sound HUGE. I am building a new powered sub since the H-frames won't fit in the room without taking too much space.

I wonder how the Madisound kit sounds compared to the Frugal Horn, BIB, etc... so many cool shootouts can be done for so many different drivers... and not a bad choice of cabinets in the lot! MJK software has demystified the entire exotic speakerbuilding process... think about it, this new kit is very reasonably priced and i built H-frames for just over $100pr... and the bass does NOT sound like it's coming from $100 of speakers!

I hope everything get put back in order soon for you. I hope you get your web site back up and nothing is erased or gone. I have a few people who might want a (BIB) box soon.

My BK-12s.

P1000400.jpg

P1000401.jpg

P1000403.jpg

I'm very happy with them. They sound great with 300wpc:eek:.

Hi all

I have just built a pair of BK12's from scratch using 3/4 birch ply

I'm just about to close up the box by gluing the side panel, but was wondering if filling the void spaces in the corners would be beneficial ?

I realize that the sides and back, are the least stiff areas, and would be producing the most resonances, but was considering that the extra weight and dampening couldn't hurt.

A few pounds of duct seal putty perhaps ?

I may also add some decorative pieces of plywood to the sides and back of the cabinets to stiffen the larger unsupported areas

Last edited: