Madisound BK12m

Send me an email at zillaspeakers@gmail.com and i will send the BIB spreadsheet. I must have sent 20+ this week... everyone should have a copy on their computer! LOL

I am going to try to get it on my site again this weekend... i need to noodle around in my GoDaddy account to make it work. A surprising pain in the a**!

The entire BIB site was destroyed during the move from one host to another... files seem ok but must re link everything and their interface suuuuucks!

Thank G-d for the speaker forums or i'd lose my mind completely during this divorce (about a month and a half into this and it's getting nasty... 'wife' charged over $52,000 in last three months i am half responsible for... GRRRRRR)! Setup the OB 12lta's last weekend at my parents house and thrilled my father. They sound HUGE. I am building a new powered sub since the H-frames won't fit in the room without taking too much space.

I wonder how the Madisound kit sounds compared to the Frugal Horn, BIB, etc... so many cool shootouts can be done for so many different drivers... and not a bad choice of cabinets in the lot! MJK software has demystified the entire exotic speakerbuilding process... think about it, this new kit is very reasonably priced and i built H-frames for just over $100pr... and the bass does NOT sound like it's coming from $100 of speakers!

??? Virtually all T/S box calculators already do this........ If you mean TLs, horns: MJK's Excel Classic TL Alignments and soho54's Excel Eazy Horn calcs loaded into HornResp spits them out and allows one to easily dial it in to suit using its slider controlled Loudspeaker Wizard to 'ease the pain' on most other alignments. Compound horns would require some serious programming, so don't 'hold your breath' for one beyond using HornResp, AkAbak or similar to trial n' error a usable design.

GM

Just now prepping a revision to remove some mistakes, spellers & typos... you might want to hold off a while before downloading

dave
Dave,
Since your updating them, I noticed one thing, if I can offer a suggestion. I was a draftsman in college, ink on mylar. On page 2, the front view on the left. The inside line for both sides should go all the way from the top to the bottom and should be solid since you can see this edge when assembled.

Dave,
Since your updating them, I noticed one thing, if I can offer a suggestion. I was a draftsman in college, ink on mylar. On page 2, the front view on the left. The inside line for both sides should go all the way from the top to the bottom and should be solid since you can see this edge when assembled.

You can see from the photos of partially assembled kit on the Madisound page that their CNC shop decided to cut parts slightly differently than shown on the sketches.

In other words, they inset the front and back panels and overlay the tops and bottoms. I generally do this myself, and while that leaves end grain exposed on all 4 panels at the front, it reduces the number of parts cut to different sizes, and I personally find it makes assembly easier.

After building literally hundreds of different speaker cabinets over the years, I frequently juggle some dimensions on many of Dave's drawings for the same reasons.

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave,

Sometimes i will leave things ambiguous to indicate that the builder can choose which way panels overlay (or that a mitre or dado can be used). Even when i do indicate what overlay, i often get overruled when they actually get built.

In some like Frugel-Horn Mk3 i will get very specific (because in this case the overlay makes a difference as to whether you can get a pair out of a chunk of 5x5 BB)

dave

A modern interpretation of a classic. Another flat-pak to increase diyers choice.

Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn Kit - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store

bk-12m-kit.jpg

dave

This looks kind of like a scaled up and slightly simplified Woden Design Sperrin for the Fostex FE126En driver; a very clean looking design.

How does the sound of these compare with the Fostex recommended back loaded horn enclosure for the FE126En driver? I have heard rumors that people actually burn these Fostex enclosures to keep warm whilst listening to their ipods with very cheap headphones.

if you're talking about this one:

FE126En-horn.png

I have heard these, and can think of at least 4 DIY/ public domain designs ( the FH3, modified Buschhorn Mk I not II, Woden Valiant, and Ron Clarke A126) and one commercial design (Hornshoppe Horn) that outperform it in every possible way.

I have built or heard all of the above named designs, except the Sperrin. You can use your favorite colorful language, but simply put, I'd call this one of Fostex's very poor enclosure designs, and certainly does not demonstrate the driver's potential.