Madisound BK12m

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
A modern interpretation of a classic. Another flat-pak to increase diyers choice.

Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn Kit - Pair: Madisound Speaker Store

bk-12m-kit.jpg

dave

Congratulations! That is a great accomplishment and to everyone's benefit. The quality of the woodworking looks first-rate.

1. Malibujeff, how did they sound?!

2. Dave, can you say whether MJK's software was utilized and whether Madisound has become an MJK licensee?

3. Is this plan available for purchase or exclusively available through the Madisound flat-pak project?

Thanks in advance and congratulations again. I would really like to hear these.

Can the BK be interpreted for the Alpair 7 or CHR70? I'm *this* close to getting something from Madisound again and want to try a build with a Mark Audio Alpair or CHR70.

In a word, no - but there are numerous other designs that work very well for the Alpairs, including a small (rear mouth) horn intended to be far more compliant to using a wider range of drivers of this size range, and whose name shouldn't be hard to find.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
2. Dave, can you say whether MJK's software was utilized and whether Madisound has become an MJK licensee?

Yes, yes.

3. Is this plan available for purchase or exclusively available through the Madisound flat-pak project?

You will need to talk to Madisound. The design was gifted to them to with what they want. Because of a scarcity of FE126En it has taken a year to get from there to here.

dave

In a word, no - but there are numerous other designs that work very well for the Alpairs, including a small (rear mouth) horn intended to be far more compliant to using a wider range of drivers of this size range, and whose name shouldn't be hard to find.

The FHMk3 is a consideration for me. Size and shape is pretty much like the Brynn IIRC. No mFonkens for me for now.

I've been practicing recutting the driver hole in a BIB just to drop an MA speak in to see what happens. First attempt was less than satisfactory but that's my router technique to blame.

The FHMk3 is a consideration for me. Size and shape is pretty much like the Brynn IIRC. No mFonkens for me for now.

Well actually without additional feet / outriggers like Colin's excellent design, the FH taller (~900mm) and deeper but not as wide as the Brynn, but most significantly in terms of room placement is that the rear mouth exit does require at least some distance from rear / corner boundaries. For the FE126E, retaining proximity to the corners for reinforcement will probably work best for most folks - with other drivers shown to work in this enclosure that's not required at all.

While the mFonken is surprisingly good, it was never really intended as more than a near field mini / computer monitor unless supplemented by woofers - (generally I'd suggest stereo and XO in the upper mid-bass range for these guys)

I've been practicing recutting the driver hole in a BIB just to drop an MA speak in to see what happens. First attempt was less than satisfactory but that's my router technique to blame.
what mr Zilla said - even with a perfectly machined fit, chances are hit or miss that the BIB (or many other designs) would work as well as with the drivers for which they were intended