Madisound BK12m

The Peerless certainly is a pretty little thing, and for as much as the graph might mean in the real world, that gentle slope from about 1800 to 8-9K at 30dg off axis looks benign enough, so you could be on to something.

We'll find out soon enough

Last edited:
Here is a mic
Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android
Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for Tablets iPhone iPad and Android
Here is an app
Audio tool
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.julian.apps.AudioTool

I ordered the mic and should be able to give a review in a few days.
That looks great! So, $25 total for an advanced audio spectrum anaylzer (minus the cost of a cell phone)? That's incredible! Looking forward to the review.
The app I tried on my droid was called Advanced Spectrum Analyzer by Vuche Labs. This one was free and accepts input from the external mic, but doesn't look like it accepts the mic calibration file. Still I might see how it performs with that Dayton mic.
Should be going back on-topic soon, sorry!

Got the Peerless drivers in today. Here's a pic to compare these 2 4" drivers before I uninstall the Fostek FE126En and install the Peerless NE123W-08. VERY different designs.

Attachments

• 4in Peerless vs Fostek.jpg
    4in Peerless vs Fostek.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 393
At 123mm, the Peerless driver wasn't a perfect fit in the front panel. The hole was meant for the 126mm Fostek driver. I'll have to make a new one. Which brings up a question. Should I start a new thread?

Attachments

• NE123W-08 installed.jpg
    NE123W-08 installed.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:
I just listened to the Peerless unit. WAY more bass at a sacrifice of midrange. Top end was just ok... I swear the bass notes were sub 100Hz. Using an AudioSource Amp3, no EQ. Didn't sound as distorted as the Fostek at louder volumes either. Something lacking in the midrange though. Will have to listen to more tracks, but I'm excited! Maybe needs 2 Peerless, enclosed + an 8" opposing side-firing subwoofers?

Attachments

• D'Appolito.jpg
    D'Appolito.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
Should I start a new thread?

Seems reasonable since the Peerless is a poor substitute published specs wise, which must be reasonably accurate judging by how it sounds to you, so needs a BLH design of its own that will allow the mids to open up/'breathe' as much as they're designed to do.

To compare the driver's mids/HF 'good enough' to determine if they will please, stick them in a corner of a well stuffed sofa, chair or just in a 'bed' of pillows there or in a room corner. If room, etc., layout permits, a good way to enjoy them during break-in too.

Just looking at published responses though, the Fostex 'wins' unless a short waveguide [WG] is added to 'plump up' the Peerless's broadband dip in its critical HF BW. Its 'deep dish' cone profile keeps me from wanting to use it 'full-range' as-is.

GM

...If room, etc., layout permits, a good way to enjoy them during break-in too...
GM
"Break-In". Some BS, really. For a 15Watt driver? I keep reading break in as if the driver was being 'broken in'. But I actually think it's your ears being broken in by the driver where it sound like crap from the beginning of "testing" and you have your fingers crossed and keep trying to power that Fostek low power driver.

Last edited:
Today I listened to the boxes again with the Peerless drivers. I am really impressed. I'm not going to modify the boxes. I bought 4 Peerless drivers expecting mods. But I think I'll buy 2 more empty BK12m boxes from madisound and build identical units and then try placing them in different areas for an even wider sound.

I swear these drivers ask you to turn up the volume, until something agitates your ears. Gotta be a good recording tho. I've found some old Cd's sound like crap. Some newer ones, like DDD mastered ones sound the best.

Madisound BK-12m First Impressions

Hi All! My first post, as a thank you to everyone for helping me to decide on my first DIY project...

I just finished my build of the BK-12m speaker kit, with the Fostex FE108SOL drivers as a substitute. I chose the FE108SOL for three reasons:

1. I thought that the flatter response curve, as well as the purported lower range might make for a better sound than the standard FE126ENs
  2. I like the idea of having a “limited edition” driver. It makes the speaker a bit more of a conversation piece.
  3. I think the circle on rectangle shape is more aesthetically pleasing than the square on square, but that’s strictly picking nits.

Construction

The provided instructions were mostly accurate and complete. Building the kit was relatively easy, following the instructions precisely. I did run into a couple of build issues:

1. The instructions call for 5 clamps, of two lengths, 24 and 36 inches. After a small gap on the first speaker, I realized a sixth clamp was needed, thought it need only be 12 inches. In at least one step, the instructions called for clamping one edge with a single clamp, when clamping two corners of the edge were really necessary for a sure fit.
  2. The circular edge of the FE108SOL drivers meant that the holes drilled passed through the beveled edge the driver is installed in. Although I don’t believe there is reason to suspect this will have either sonic or structural effect, the shape of the FE126EN drivers would not have this issue. Were I to purchase this kit again, I would probably choose the standard drivers.
Otherwise, the fit and finish of the flat-pack pieces was impeccable. I went with a simple urethane gloss finish, since I very much enjoy the organic patina that birch gets as it ages. Even though it’s plywood, it’s worth showing off in its natural form.

Sound

I am driving these speakers with the Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3 integrated amplifier. The drive tubes are old stock RCA 6SJ7, while the power tubes are PSVANE KT88-T Mark II. The sound source is a Shiit Modi Multibit DAC, with FLAC input.

Previously, I had used my old Energy 22.1 reference class speakers. These are outstanding two-way bookshelf speakers, but were built for a time when high powered solid state amplifiers were the status quo. The MP-301 struggled to drive these speakers, which is why I had swapped in the KT88s. I did a quick A/B speaker comparison with one of my favorite Mazzy Star tracks, and right away, I realized there was no point in the comparison. The two speakers were apples and oranges.

I am very pleased with the result so far, but I’ll need to do a lot more listening, burning in, and tube rolling before I can offer an objective review. My first impression was that this type of speaker is made for low-power tube amps. My second impression was delight, that such a small driver could be coaxed into producing so much sound. I’ll report back again in a few months when I’ve had a chance to form a better opinion.

Attachments

• IMG_20170408_121851.jpg
    IMG_20170408_121851.jpg
    469.5 KB · Views: 340
  • IMG_20170408_121835.jpg
    IMG_20170408_121835.jpg
    871.4 KB · Views: 338
Bk12m build update:

The sound is improving, as expected. There is some break-up at high volume, that I thought might be due to clipping, but the clipping sound is distinctive, and is audible during high transients at near peak volume. I expect the break-up will smoothen out at the drivers continue to break in.

I opted for the matching Fostex KG810 grill covers for the FE108-SOL drivers. I liked the idea of having them magnetically mounted, so I purchased the grill magnets from Madisound. The screw holes in the grills are not large enough to accept the magnets, so I had to drill them out with a 3/8 inch bit. Also, I had to remove the plastic stand-off material at the back of the grills to allow proximity of the magnets to the speaker screws. Finally, I painted the magnets flat black to match the grill color, before press fitting them in.

Not as hideous as I was expecting, and some peace of mind when the curious younglings are visiting.

Attachments

• IMG_20170422_172412.jpg
    IMG_20170422_172412.jpg
    465.1 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_20170422_174426.jpg
    IMG_20170422_174426.jpg
    445.8 KB · Views: 442
  • IMG_20170423_194753.jpg
    IMG_20170423_194753.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 443
One question: How do you perceive the sound getting better?

When I first heard them, the drivers sounded "shrill" at medium to high volume. That shrillness is fading at high volume, and now gone at medium volume. The shrillness gives way to distortion as the volume continues to rise up to the point of clipping, but I suspect that is due to distention of the magnet.

Also, I listened to Bonten (Japanese drumming group) early on, and then later. The instruments were a little hard to distinguish at first, but now they are all spatially distinct.

I'm not sure but maybe that particular 'irritating' sound comes from the efficiency of the driver when they're brand new before burn-in...

When I ordered my first 2 BK12m enclosures, I chose FE126En drivers. The frequency response looked half decent, the efficiency was @93db/W and also had very good looking power rating for a 4" FR driver. Was my first endeavor into BLH.

IMHO, there are better 4" drivers out there than Fostek, although less efficient, they're better sounding. I'll leave it at that because there's lots of Fostek fans out there.

IMHO, there are better 4" drivers out there than Fostek, although less efficient, they're better sounding. I'll leave it at that because there's lots of Fostek fans out there.

I've been following your experience, and I'm sure I will eventually travel down a similar path. So, thanks for your posts! The BK12m was my first exposure to DIY, and even though the first one wasn't free, the experience is still very addictive. :)

Sam - not all Fostex drivers sound the same. For example, I found the FE103SOL's to exhibit none of the same aggressively forward upper midrange as the FE126Ens, and can only imagine the Captain's 108SOL's to be cut from the same cloth, so to speak.

Right, this issue of "burn-in" for new drivers adds a bit of "black magic" to speaker building. I first heard of it on these forums and I thought to myself that sounds like a bunch a BS. Like maybe it's your ears getting used to your speakers.... But, I've learned, as one reads spec sheets for certain drivers, they will state the response curve was after burn in. And I have my Pluvia set now, and I swear I hear more bass out of them after some hours of medium level listening...

It would be nice if someone could possibly start a thread and explain this black magic of driver 'burn-in'...

I also found a couple of interesting and relevant discussions over on the Steve Hoffman forums.

My own experience is that the disappointing shrillness I first found in my speakers went away after a couple of hours of playing at loud volume. I've only used the set for about 8 hours so far, but I believe I am approaching or beyond the point of diminishing improvement. Time may tell otherwise. In any case, at the moment, these are far and away the best sounding loudspeakers I have owned, so I've kind of moved past the burn-in quandary.