Madisound BK12m - Page 11 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th July 2012, 05:00 PM   #101
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Since Matt is running this with a 'puter based front end (which is becoming far more common), it'd probably be a lot easier to dial in some EQ to provide rough BSC compensation. Even though the little Topping amp has more than enough power (25WPC) for the FE126E, as Scott notes, it'll have very low output impedance which will not mitigate the Fostex's signature forward/dominant presentation, and I think it'd be a same to waste any power with passive speaker level components.

Also note that his enclosures are pictured situated at the end of a bed, with no rear or side wall boundaries that could otherwise provide some bass coupling that would reduce the need for compensation.
Old 20th July 2012, 06:09 PM   #102
MattWW is offline MattWW  Austria
diyAudio Member

The TP21 does provide a good amount of bass for it's size, and as you say, more than enough power for the FE126En.

However, I am trying to find a way to arrange them positioned against the wall and am currently simply using the iTunes EQ to bring the bass to a level to better match the miss & highs. This does give a very satisfying sound as long as the bass is not brought up so high that it distorts.
Old 20th July 2012, 06:41 PM   #103
diyAudio Member

MattWW, beautiful build! Well done. Now all you need is a decent tube amp to power them!
Old 20th July 2012, 06:45 PM   #104
MattWW is offline MattWW  Austria
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctavish View Post
MattWW, beautiful build! Well done. Now all you need is a decent tube amp to power them!
..would love to power them with a tube amp, but as I am only 16 and had to save up a long time to build these, I don't think I will be in the near future!

But the little Topping will do just fine for the moment
Old 20th July 2012, 09:21 PM   #105
diyAudio Member

+1 on them being a good job. I like the beech front baffle too.
Old 20th July 2012, 11:41 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

Congratulations MattWW, you have become a maker.
Old 21st July 2012, 02:20 AM   #107
pbkrag is offline pbkrag  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MashBill View Post
Could you share the baffle step correction info with us?
Sure. I learned about it from this site; Loudspeaker Diffraction Loss and Baffle Step Compensation Circuits

I used a 1.2 mH inductor and 4.7 ohm resistor in mine. I really just guessed at the amount of attenuation I needed. I used comments from this project to base my guess on.
Fostex FX120 DIY Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers

I was looking at doing that project when I came upon the Madisound kit, and opted for that instead.
Old 21st July 2012, 01:09 PM   #108
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

I built my BK-12s about a month ago. Is it possible that the "brassiness" people experience is due to a needed break in period? After about 100 hours of use, mine seemed to have calmed down. OR did my hearing adjust to the speakers?

I'm still fine tuning the room with speaker placement. My carpeted room is about to get hardwood floors. What changes and solutions could that bring?
Old 22nd July 2012, 01:36 PM   #109
diyAudio Member

I just bought a kit from Madisound. This is my first DIY attempt and as my woodworking skills extend to cutting my fingers off, I am a bit wary of noobie mistakes.

I have sanded all the edges and removed the fine fibres left by the CNC process. I have taken out a small home mortgage to purchase sufficient bar claps to do two speakers at once. Even given this doubling of build capacity, I estimate, at one day per piece, for this to take me the better part of two weeks to assemble.

Are there any pointers for the wood-illiterate?
Old 23rd July 2012, 03:18 AM   #110
jhutka is offline jhutka  United States
diyAudio Member

You picked a good one to start with. I have to say that these were my first too, and I'm extremely pleased. Your skills are probably good enough to have great results. I built mine from the plans only with 3/4" oak plywood, and I'm new to the speaker lab and the woodshop.

What I've heard is that that the flat packs are precise and easy to work with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg speakers.jpg (75.3 KB, 404 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!