CHP70 concrete build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, I am still trying to borrow a better camera. At the moment, Im limmited to the length of the usb cable on my web cam.
Anyhow, got most of the wiring done.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Followed a tute on how to make braided Cat 5 cables, and just had enough to do the internal wiring. Dident have any shrink wrap, but as there not seen, thats not a problem. They still need spades on, but Im going to see if I can get better quality than the ones ive got in me bits box.
I put an extra cable tye right through the binding post cup, to prevent straining the joints. Sealed up with a bit of hot glue. These are now fitted in.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Ive bannaned up some of my old multy strand that will have to do until I upgrade to the same as the internal..
The long rod in the first pic is my so far unsucsessfull attempt at a measuring mic.
Havent tracked the problem down yet, but it could be a number of things. No phantom power. Dry joint when I swaped polarity on the capsule. Sound card configured wrong. etc.
Im going to add back in the small fet? circuit, and the battery. Check the soldering, and try again.
Still waiting for the port tubes, but I thaught Id make them feel at home while I wait to finish them off.

Comped two web cam shots together. There on the stands I made from two Liddle coffee tables
to match my old tannoys. Check out the slipper storage. They allso double as bookshelves, to add mass. Not necassary this time.
To be continued.

Last edited:
Hi kuldeepsingh. Sorry for not replying sooner, but I wanted to post some good news at the same time.
Ive been using Blender for well over a decade now, and find it indispensable for most of my projects. Heres the link blender.org - Home
I havent had any joy with the measurement mic, and am begining to susspect that the capsule was allready trashed before I started. Or I damaged it by getting it to hot when soldering. I will get a replacement and try again.
On a more possotive note, the port tubes turned up yesterday, so I started the machining of the bamboo. Went really well.

you can see the flaired end on the tubes is a bit big.

This is how I turned the edge down. A small chamfer on the reverse side for breathing.
After googling, I decided to give them a rub over with linseed oil to finish them off. Really braught the colour out, and easy to keep clean.
Should be able to fire them up later on today.
Onwards.

Last edited:
Well, after listening to them for a good few hours, these are some of my impressions.
The amp I am using is from a pair of CreativeLab SBS52 computer speakers which you saw in a earlier pic. 5 watts per channel. I havent put any damping or stuffing material in so far.
There not like anything I have heard before, and initially took a bit of getting used to. The bass being a lot more powerfull than I was expecting, and easilly out does my cheap sub, which is now redundent. I think I may have tuned then a little bit low, and I thaught I detected a small drop off in the upper bass.
So far I only heard a slight ringing of the cabinets twice very briefly, but unfortunatly it was an unknown track on radio 1, so I am unable to reproduce it.
I had origionally got the stand spikes through the carpet into the floor boards, and with these drivers, they were managing to vibrate the floor aswell. Putting the protection pads wich were supplied with the spikes has improved things dramatically.
I noticed an improvement with the averall sound quality over a period of about 12 hours, as the cables and connections burnt in/ settled down.
Going to listen to a few more of my favorite albums Santana - Gary Moore etc before I decide on my next move. Probably try some carpet square material on the back panel. It consists of about a three mil layer of fairly stiff paper felt material, with a thin rubberised layer bonding the nylon fabric on. Ive used it sucssesfully in the past, and Ive allready got some, so its cheap.
It turns out, that the problem with the measuring mic lies with the computer. For some reason my onboard sound card wont accsept a mic input, no matter what I try. Could be connected to the tv card, or some other driver conflict. Heres another crappy pic, while I try to borrow a better camera.

I am seriously looking forward to some better amplification, to see what these can really do.
Later.

I forgot to say, these drivers are fantastic. Even with only 5 watts they are nearly capable of blowing the roof off in my small room. They are increadably musical, no matter whats playing, I find my feet taping along. My only regret is I cant afford some CHR's to compair, while I blast some Joe Satriani.

Usually a bit of both, with some wormhole wizard thrown in. Female vocals and single instruments are bang on. On more complex stuff it can get a little confused. But I dont think that just down to internal reflections. Ive still got the source, the amp, and the cables to upgrade. Not forgeting a better power supply.
My last set in comprison was very bright, which is why I chose the CHPs over the CHRs. From what I read, I was affraid the CHRs might be to bright with my usual type of music.
The new ballance is definatly growing on me the more I listen to them. There is an element of old radiogram sound to them, but much more refined and controled.
Tomorrow I will experement with some damping.
I actually live in a converted loft space, and in the piture you can see how the cieling slopes in at the level of the top of the speakers. Allthough I havent been able to measure it, I am sure this acts allmost like horn loading.

Last edited:
More impressions. Im not very good at discribing this sort of stuff, so bare with me. Joe Satriani goes even faster. My room seems twice as big. With the "Sleep Walk" track, its like being in a village hall. There is absolutly no decay from the cabinets. The sound just stops dead. Monolith from 2001. They exel at piano and acoustic guitar, but there is some smearing in the mid and upper mid range. This can only get better.

Well, they went from wow to totally awsome. Watching Transformers 2 anyway.
I ended up completely lining the inside with carpet tiles. I actually fitted them in with the fiber material towards the concrete. It just struck me that it may be better able to abbsorb more frequencies that way. As I only had spray glue, and I was concerned about the posabillity of harmfull fumes again, I just made them a really good fit, and they interlock to hold each other in place. Probably.
Any earlier crits have just about disapeared.
I still need to tweek the port tuning, but playing what I call me referance disc, " Fleetwood Mac, Tango in the Dark" they seemed remarkably flat. I think Ive just been bass starved for a long time.
Using qrdude, ive drawn up some plans for a diffuser to try and get the midrange even cleaner, but to be honenst I think thats down to other parts of the system.
Been trying to get the hairs on the back of me neck to stand up to "Wild Frontier".
Not quite there yet, but deffinatly got a tingle.

Last edited:
Sorry to bump an old post, but Ive reorganized my photos, and its broken all the links in this thread. They can now be found here.
Concrete Speaker Build Photos by bogey61 | Photobucket

I should also say, after tweaking them and living with them. I have never tired of them, and they played everything I threw at them faultlessly. I upgraded my speaker cable, got a usb dac, diy solid silver interconnects, but what improved the sound quality the most was £20 worth of Sorbothane under the speakers. Until then Marks drivers were not only shaking a bag of ready mix each, but also the whole three story house.
There was the time once after coming back from a night out, while trying to find a loose connection, that the left hand side speaker had me in a pin fall, but that's another story.
BogeysBits.jpg

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.