Medallion III+ Building Advice - Suggestions Welcomed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I decided that my Lowther DX3s need a good home. They are currently collecting dust and I can't stand it.

I have asked my brother-in-law to build the Medallion III+ cabinets.

Having never built anything like this before, I'm asking for suggestions.

Pictures are welcome too.

When finished, I post the end product as well as listening impressions.

Thanks in advance.:)

Not the simplest of builds even for a "seasoned veteran", but the plans are well detailed and fairly straightforward.

My only comments would be:

- take your time
- use the best quality high density plywood you can afford. (i.e. Apple-ply, Russian Birch, etc) - use MDF for test cuts / jigs but the Lowthers deserve far better for prime time
- if dadoing any of the internal panels via CNC or by hand made jigs, confirm thickness of materials from nominal values, and allow for variations of up to .5mm
- pre-veneer/finish as many of the visible internal panels as possible before or during assembly

The closest I've built to such a design were a couple of pairs of BLH for Coral Beta 8s and 10s. A little bit of a concern not having the rare drivers on hand to confirm tight fit in the loading chamber, but otherwise not particularly nerve-wracking, but certainly time consuming build - at least 100hrs all told for the 2 pairs. I used shop grade BB and nailed/screwed from the outside, veneering and finishing visible internal surfaces as I went, and post veneered and edge trimmed the exteriors once assembly complete.

Attachments

• Coral beta horns 001.jpg
    Coral beta horns 001.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Coral beta horns 005.jpg
    Coral beta horns 005.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 163
  • Coral beta horns 011.jpg
    Coral beta horns 011.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Not the simplest of builds even for a "seasoned veteran", but the plans are well detailed and fairly straightforward.

My only comments would be:

- take your time
- use the best quality high density plywood you can afford. (i.e. Apple-ply, Russian Birch, etc) - use MDF for test cuts / jigs but the Lowthers deserve far better for prime time
- if dadoing any of the internal panels via CNC or by hand made jigs, confirm thickness of materials from nominal values, and allow for variations of up to .5mm
- pre-veneer/finish as many of the visible internal panels as possible before or during assembly

The closest I've built to such a design were a couple of pairs of BLH for Coral Beta 8s and 10s. A little bit of a concern not having the rare drivers on hand to confirm tight fit in the loading chamber, but otherwise not particularly nerve-wracking, but certainly time consuming build - at least 100hrs all told for the 2 pairs. I used shop grade BB and nailed/screwed from the outside, veneering and finishing visible internal surfaces as I went, and post veneered and edge trimmed the exteriors once assembly complete.

Thank you for these suggestions and photos. Would 3/4" birch be the best choice or is their something better?

Allen...

Thank you for these suggestions and photos. Would 3/4" birch be the best choice or is their something better?

Allen...

Personally, I'd stick with high ply count 3/4" birch veneer core ply ( Russian made Baltic Birch actually measures at 18mm) As I hinted at above, depending on plans for finishing of visible interior surfaces as well as the outside shell, it can be easier (if not sacrilegious to the purist cabinetmaker) to use a shop grade ply and nail / screw from the outside, then get fancy and fussy with the veneer / trim-out.

The closest I've built to such a design were a couple of pairs of BLH for Coral Beta 8s and 10s. A little bit of a concern not having the rare drivers on hand to confirm tight fit in the loading chamber, but otherwise not particularly nerve-wracking, but certainly time consuming build - at least 100hrs all told for the 2 pairs.

Nice work! Getting to hear vintage Coral drivers in BLH's would have been very interesting.

jeff

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.