help needed finding a green needle or tl

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi All,
One the net (or even on this forum?), some time ago I came across a needle-like cabinet with rounded tops possibly using a Jordan fullrange driver, finished in **green** except the front, which was black IIRC. I remember it being made in Britain (not a DIY project, more like a "designer" thing).
Unfortunately after spending 4 hours googling and browsing I am unable to locate the thing again.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks, I appreciate.
E

Thanks but that isn't it.
I'm slowly panicking because the plan was to buy a set for my GF's BD :eek:

As Douglas Adams would preface the conversation: "Don't Panic"

Since you're a registered member of a forum entitled "DIY" is there any chance you could fabricate a relatively simple wooden speaker enclosure yourself, or with the assistance of a hobbyist buddy? Chances are that a handcrafted pair of speakers would have more sentimental impact than something store-bought.

FWIW, most of the "commercial" products I've seen utilizing a single of any of the Jordan drivers could be reasonably approximated by a competent woodworker. If you have a particular aesthetic objective in mind, I'd be surprised if one of the designers here couldn't achieve it, or already have something in their sketchbook.

plan B...

is there any chance you could fabricate a relatively simple wooden speaker enclosure yourself, or with the assistance of a hobbyist buddy?
Thanks Chris I really appreciate your comment.
I should have elaborated a bit more.
Way back when, I built several home-fi enclosures using various drivers (I remember Visatone, Goodmans, Seas) for myself or friends. Plus a few cabinets for guitar or bass (including their tube or SS top) besides other stuff.
So I'm no stranger to DIY (and you guessed it that's also the reason why I am a member here :) ).

But this is different: Some time ago we were browsing the 'net and stumbled on that green thing. She immediately was taken away by it so I promised her I'd build a look-alike, only better :p (example, something other than a Jordan driver).

Meanwhile, many moons have gone by and I was always too busy with stuff (recently including this and this...) to actually start her speaker project.
Long story short, "the plan" to buy that off-the-shelf pair is actually a desperado's plan B...

Again, I appreciate your post.
E

Last edited:
well, E - good luck in your quest - it's been almost 20yrs since I've bought a commercial speaker ( other than automotive), and even though I'm now in a financial position to be able to afford some of the entry level products at my local audio emporium, there are no single driver models, and none for less than $5000/pr that I find captivating enough to try to justify.

and FWIW, the green thingies may well be long lost to the vagaries of the specialized/ artisan marketplace - sporadic enough at the best of times, which currently these aren't

...there are no single driver models, and none for less than $5000/pr that I find captivating enough to try to justify.

and FWIW, the green thingies may well be long lost to the vagaries of the specialized/ artisan marketplace - sporadic enough at the best of times, which currently these aren't

Thanks for the good luck. Same here re: commercial. My last such buy? In my teens, on my first visit to a big-town hifi shop I was enamored by the Dahlquist DQ-10, without obviously the cash to buy even half a floor stand ;). But I never forgot that moment. So a few years back, on a whim I bought a pair on ebay, re-coned or re-foamed some of the speakers, refurbished the crossovers, turned the music up and ...was disappointed.
Cheers,
E

Elevator,

If you like the Jordan aluminum cone FR drivers, you can also look up Mark Audio - MA has a good range of drivers at different price points, and there are a lot of designs available. For paper cones there's MA, Fostex, and Tang Band to name a few popular brands being used by many DIYers; TB also has some polymer cones IIRC.

Good luck!

E- funny you should mention the DQ10 - my original experience with that one (1975 or so?) was far more enthusiastic . I was working in an audio shop at the time, and we must have sold a dozen or so pairs. Indeed, of the 20 or so different models of commercial speakers I bought/sold during the crazy years BK (before kids)- including Quad ESL57 and Acoustat I- they and the Spica SC50 are probably the two that I most regret letting go. Of course, if I was to audition even a fully tweaked out pair today, that opinion might well change.

anyways, that doesn't help with your current dilemma -

Hi All,
One the net (or even on this forum?), some time ago I came across a needle-like cabinet with rounded tops possibly using a Jordan fullrange driver, finished in **green** except the front, which was black IIRC. I remember it being made in Britain (not a DIY project, more like a "designer" thing).
Unfortunately after spending 4 hours googling and browsing I am unable to locate the thing again.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks, I appreciate.
E
Did you check your browsers history? Err I forget did I ask if you checked your browsers history.

I still have my DQ-10's and Spicas! Modern loudspeakers are better! But they were the among the best back then.

green turdos

E- funny you should mention the DQ10 - my original experience with that one (1975 or so?) was far more enthusiastic .
That was the year, and on the spot I was hugely enthusiastic about it, too. Now I think that the aesthetic impact must have played a factor. The ESL-57 was a no-good brown :(
Don't know the Spicas. But try the DQ-10s when you get a chance. Mind you they need a proper amp with lots of current reserve. In fact they are one reason why I started looking at class D.

anyways, that doesn't help with your current dilemma -
Actually, between the DQ-10 and the green thing, there's maybe a moral here: Aesthetics can only go so far. Hey this way I might be able to talk my GF out of the green thing entirely.
Like "you know, the folks at diyaudio said forget it man, those are green turds". May I give her your cell number? :D

Elevator,

If you like the Jordan aluminum cone FR drivers, you can also look up Mark Audio - MA has a good range of drivers at different price points, and there are a lot of designs available. For paper cones there's MA, Fostex, and Tang Band to name a few popular brands being used by many DIYers; TB also has some polymer cones IIRC.

Good luck!
Thanks zman, I've only listened to a fostex but according to just about everyone, MA and TB sound better. One of these days I am going to order a pair of enabld ones...

Thanks zman, I've only listened to a fostex but according to just about everyone, MA and TB sound better. One of these days I am going to order a pair of enabld ones...

E - how much does your GF (or whomever the intended giftee might be ) care about what "just about everyone" here or elsewhere thinks about about which (model) of those three brands sounds better?

Which Fostex have you heard? I could easily live with the sound of several of them - although the requisite enclosures can be a bit of a hard sell when WAF is considered - but can't run away fast enough from others that I've heard, well one most particularly ( FE138ESR) .

SPICA SC50 (actually, circa '79)

http://spicaspeakers.com/manuals/spica-sc50i-brochure.pdf

Simon: quite possibly a fresh listen might clear the rose colored tint from my fond recollection, or not. One of the problems of course would be the havoc wreaked on a 2A3 SET by the 83dB sensitivity and less than minimalist XO

sc50-crossover-bau-sketch.jpg

Last edited:
well, E - good luck in your quest - it's been almost 20yrs since I've bought a commercial speaker ( other than automotive), and even though I'm now in a financial position to be able to afford some of the entry level products at my local audio emporium, there are no single driver models, and none for less than $5000/pr that I find captivating enough to try to justify.

lol, I know this is an old thread, but are you implying that if you made speakers with say a pair of CSS EL70, you'd have to pay more than $5000 to get something better?

Something odd I've never thought about. After looking at this forum, I realize I've never seen a pair of full range 20w per channel speakers in a large cabinet in an audio store.

What surprises me about DIY speakers is I saw a video comparing an obvious self-made pair of full range speakers to a pair of Denon 3-way and someone commented the full range speakers sounded better. Then another video by someone saying he bought an old pair of Boston Acoustics speakers that had inferior crossovers. And another person I think here that bought a pair of old Radio Shack speakers with Fostex drivers but that the cabinet could have been better. Even if people say DIY speakers are complicated, I'm more willing now to try it after seeing all this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.