3" driver audition Fostex/Mark Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Back to small drivers, yesterday Bernie came down the island and up the mountain and we had a bit of a listen to 3" drivers.

dave

Attachments

• 3in-listen-050911.jpg
    3in-listen-050911.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 4,020
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The session was far from definitive. Comments only apply to this session*. We didn't get as far as optimizing toe-in etc.

It did tell us that the 3 newest drivers (FF85wk), Alpair 6P and 6M, had an edge on the older FF85k. Their balance of strengths differ-- i need to do more listening, with more kit (ie amps) to get any options that are les squiggy.

Alpairs were capable of more bass. FF85 & A6M have more shimmer up top, FF85 images the most precisily, A6P seems likely to be more forgiving. One would generally say that that gives FF85 greater DDR, but on the A6p we had a hint of stuff in the mix that were not as obvious with the others.

From the impressions, at this point i'd choose FF85wk if i had bass support, A6P for single driver use, but i'd be happy with any of them. A6P if you have an amplifier that needs to be softened up a bit (ie HT receivers) All would make excellent mid-tweeters.

All drivers were treated & matched, the FF85WK with the reference treatment from Bud.

I will be changing out a couple older FF85 for the new, so will have some demos up for sale.

dave

*(iMac G5 with iTunes, AIFF rips of CDs, Edirol FA66 Firewire DAC, DynaMutt Amp (triode EL34/20 W), Fornaco Pre (6922, DC coupled CC->CF))

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Part 2

Chris & Bernoe came over today and we did another session with these.

attachment.php

Still no clear winner. Each has their strengths.

Personally if it was used all by itself, the bass that the Alpair6P brings to the party would give it the edge. If woofer support was available, the FF85k. The A6m was no sloch either, like the other metal Alpairs demand the best ancillaries. The A6p is more forgiving, and it would be more forgiving of amps.

The real hit of the session was when we took the drivers out of the wk optimized uFonken and put them into the prototype uFonkenSEt. A bit bigger then a uFonken, a bas shape that is trapezoidal similar to the Mar-Ken12, and made of solid Locust. With the etra volume there is a bit more weight in the bottom. Amazing how they can fill a large room.

attachment.php

After Chris left, we hooked up a pair of powered SDX7 woofers. That's what i'm listening to now. Nice.

In isolation it might be kind of hard to judge the size of these. Placed on top of Mar-Kel70:

attachment.php

dave

Attachments

• 3in-session2.jpg
    3in-session2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 5,118
  • uFonkenSE-comp.jpg
    uFonkenSE-comp.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 10,157
  • uFonkenSE-Mar-Kel.jpg
    uFonkenSE-Mar-Kel.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 9,698
I'd have to decode it 1st. I've been too busy enjoying these ones to take them down to the lab and treat the other pair i have.

dave

I think what Dave means is that this pair was treated by professor Polka-dots (Bud Purvine) in a slightly different EnABL schema than that which he (Dave) has become quite familiar, and it would require careful inspection to deduce. .

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.