Speaker enclosure for FF125WK

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm planning to build a BR enclosure for the fostex FF125WK. It will be used next to a TV (home cinema, music from media center...) I have a few questions...

- Fostex suggests a building plan (9 litres, fb=57 Hz...). After entering the drivers TS parameters into WinISD, the resulting ideal box is quite different (smaller, higher fb..) Should I better stick to Fostex's dimensions?

- My idea is to build something more unique than the standard rectangular box. (I'd like non-parallel walls, etc.) Is it OK to modify the shape as long as I respect the inner volume and duct tuning?

- The speakers will be standing right next to the TV, but not touching. Has anybody studied the effect of the screen as an extension of the baffle?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Hi all,
I'm planning to build a BR enclosure for the fostex FF125WK. It will be used next to a TV (home cinema, music from media center...) I have a few questions...

- Fostex suggests a building plan (9 litres, fb=57 Hz...). After entering the drivers TS parameters into WinISD, the resulting ideal box is quite different (smaller, higher fb..) Should I better stick to Fostex's dimensions?

- My idea is to build something more unique than the standard rectangular box. (I'd like non-parallel walls, etc.) Is it OK to modify the shape as long as I respect the inner volume and duct tuning?

- The speakers will be standing right next to the TV, but not touching. Has anybody studied the effect of the screen as an extension of the baffle?

Thank you for your suggestions!

Having built several of the Fostex BR & BLH enclosures, I'd suggest you can do better - for the FF125WK, you might want to consider this one: ( approx 13 liters)

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/box-plans/GR-fonken-tn.gif

or for higher cutoff that's usually the case when using the bass management and separate powered woofer(s) in a HT/cinema set up, a smaller (4.5 liter) box that can easily be laid sideways for center;
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mFonken-1v1-map-270509.pdf

While both of these were originally designed for the late FE127E, based on recently listening, I'd suggest the new WK would work just fine.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
While both of these were originally designed for the late FE127E, based on recently listening, I'd suggest the new WK would work just fine.

Fine tuned versions of the Fonkens for WK (FonkenWKs) are underway.

Just yesterday i sent Bernie away with plans for uFonkenSE-t. Regular uFonkenWK not far behind. FF125WK up next for FonkenWKprime, mFonkenWK and CGRs.

dave

Thanks all for your suggestions, especially to planet10 for the Fonken designs. The mFonkes seems particularly suited for my needs
When you say fine-tuned versions, do you mean you modify them empirically based on some theoretical calculations? I'm interested in the theory behind these. They are a type of bass-reflex boxes, but the slots/vents are filled with absorptive material, doesn't this eliminate the air-mass effect of the port?
Thanks

Thanks all for your suggestions, especially to planet10 for the Fonken designs. The mFonkes seems particularly suited for my needs
When you say fine-tuned versions, do you mean you modify them empirically based on some theoretical calculations? I'm interested in the theory behind these. They are a type of bass-reflex boxes, but the slots/vents are filled with absorptive material, doesn't this eliminate the air-mass effect of the port?
Thanks

"Fine-tuning" in the sense of (perhaps very minor) adjustments to net internal volume and slot port dimensions - we've found the basic architecture of this design to be compliant enough to suit a wide range (but certainly not all) small wide-band drivers that we've tried to date.

Not all vented enclosures are "simple bass-reflex". The slots in the P10 "mini-onken" family are not generally filled with absorptive material - their aspect ratio is intended to provide additional resistance to the panel lining. Ideally, the net effect would be controlled aperiodic / resistive loading.

Fine tuned versions of the Fonkens for WK (FonkenWKs) are underway.

Just yesterday i sent Bernie away with plans for uFonkenSE-t. Regular uFonkenWK not far behind. FF125WK up next for FonkenWKprime, mFonkenWK and CGRs.

dave

Great news! are you planning to develop a fine tuned fonken box for FF105WK, as well?
I'm using these in a tqwt enclosure previously operated by a now defunct 103sigmas,..this new FF is a step forward in sound quality.. I just imagine what these can do with specific optimizations :)
Valeriano

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Maybe... based only on the previous generation, i'm not overly stoked on them... very little money gets you the next size up. We'll see... we are slowly working thru the new drivers.

BTW, uFonkenSET is a big suxxess sonically.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/plan...ken-fonken-picture-gallery-6.html#post2724089

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/198892-mar-ken-alpair-7-3-a.html#post2752192

dave

I preferred 127 over 103 as well .. in my case I needed a replacement, found this new FF105 much more balanced and less shouty in upper range. even tho I always listen slightly off axis with these drivers.

regarding new FF125WK.. can I use floor-stander MK II as is ?

thanks!
Valeriano

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Anytime line on these Dave::::

Do you have the 125 in the planet 10 version yet too?

Having to take on elder care recently has slowed me down. I have the basics of the trapezoidal box done, the regular & CGR will follow soon. CGRswill be free, the rest part of a paid plan-set.

FF125wKeNs are awaiting the reference units from Bud, They are also behind a pile of FE126, A7, EL70, and FF85. I'll likely be starting a batch in January

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.