Small Full Range driver selection - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th September 2011, 09:37 AM   #1
Abelma is offline Abelma  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Default Small Full Range driver selection

Hi
Looking for a driver selection, Full Range with this specifications:
- Max budget 300 U$S for a pair of drivers (US market)
- Avoid the use of BSC or other passive components between the amplifier and the driver.
-Max exterior diameter of 140 mm

Here my first selection:

- Mark Audio Alpair 7.3
Markaudio Alpair-7-Gen3 Grey Cone 4" Full Range: Madisound Speaker Store

- Fostex FX120
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d.../pdf/fx120.pdf

- Fostex FE108ESigma
http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...df/fe108ez.pdf

- Tang Band W4-1879
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1879.htm

- Tang Band W41320 SJ
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1320sj.htm

- Tang Band W4-1337 SD
http://www.tb-speaker.com/detail/1230_04/w4-1337sd.htm

I will appreciate some feedback from other audiophiles which one could be the one. My tastes are for a sound dynamic, detail, and natural with good bass extension (I know, everyone is looking for that)

The Alapair 7.3 with the Fostex FX120 seems the best for me, but, never heard them.

Thank you in advance
Old 4th September 2011, 10:46 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

I'll qualify this by first stating that it rather depends on what you'll be doing with them, & what the amplification will be. There are merits to all of the drivers you mention, so I'm sure you'll get a raft of different views.

The Tang Bands are good units; the 1337 has some HF breakup / peaking above ~10KHz, which you might need to filter. The other two are solid for what they are; I'm not fond of the looks of the 1879, but the spec. is solid. The Alpair 7 is very popular, & also a good unit, but unforgiving of source and amplification, and it's got a bit too much on the top end for my own taste (I prefer a gentler HF). The FE108ESigma is a bit of a wild-card amongst the other units you mention, since it's more of a mid-tweet. It does those duties well, but it has little linear displacement, & struggles to produce much in the way of LF, so I suspect it's unlikely to match your requirements.

Personally, I'd go with the FX120. Although it's often forgotten, it's a very nice little unit & my favourite wideband driver in the 4in - 5in size region. Reasonably low distortion, modest Xmax (for a Fostex), it's got a nicely linear response, decent efficiency, & it can be easily used in a wide variety of boxes. Nice looking unit too.
Old 4th September 2011, 10:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I have the 4" bamboo's (sd). They are clear, their resonances are not where shout nor silibance is. They add some clang to cymbals, but that's about all they do wrong, especially with the neo, shorting ring, and underhung. But don't expect too much bass (qts low, fs = 75hz).

I can't speak for any of the others.

Norman
Old 4th September 2011, 10:57 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi Scott, thanks for your feedback.
To add more lines to my specifications, the amplifier will be a Tripath based and later I would like to try a mosfet ClassA.
The room for this project is not big, 5 x 5 meters (16 x 16 feet), so not need for high sensitivity.
The FX120 is a 5", so, it should have some advantage in the bass response ?
The TB 1879 has a Fs of 55 Hz and Xmax of 5 mm..If the specs are right, this could give a very good potential for bass performance? But, how on mids and highs.
The Alpair7, upon your comments, mean that they are very detailed? Or forwarding sound ? This one seems also with good bass potential because its 4 mm Xmax?
Old 4th September 2011, 11:55 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi Norman. The TB are nice drivers I think too. But your point with that high Fs could be a minus for my choice between others drivers. The TB 1879 version has very good specs and graph....if all that data is accurate indeed
Old 4th September 2011, 12:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Scott,

I will do a project with a enclosure, the size of this box is not a problem (No WAF vote) but to put in that room.
Then it is possible that it will go for smaller enclosure for whatch TV HT system, that is why the 140 mm diameter max.
Do you think that the FX120 has good highs over the 10K? Means not feeling to add a tweeter for them
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmoose View Post
I'll qualify this by first stating that it rather depends on what you'll be doing with them, & what the amplification will be. There are merits to all of the drivers you mention, so I'm sure you'll get a raft of different views.

The Tang Bands are good units; the 1337 has some HF breakup / peaking above ~10KHz, which you might need to filter. The other two are solid for what they are; I'm not fond of the looks of the 1879, but the spec. is solid. The Alpair 7 is very popular, & also a good unit, but unforgiving of source and amplification, and it's got a bit too much on the top end for my own taste (I prefer a gentler HF). The FE108ESigma is a bit of a wild-card amongst the other units you mention, since it's more of a mid-tweet. It does those duties well, but it has little linear displacement, & struggles to produce much in the way of LF, so I suspect it's unlikely to match your requirements.

Personally, I'd go with the FX120. Although it's often forgotten, it's a very nice little unit & my favourite wideband driver in the 4in - 5in size region. Reasonably low distortion, modest Xmax (for a Fostex), it's got a nicely linear response, decent efficiency, & it can be easily used in a wide variety of boxes. Nice looking unit too.
Old 4th September 2011, 03:13 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Here two nice projects with the FX120
Fostex FX120 DIY Bass Reflex Bookshelf Speakers
Fostex FX120 DIY ML-TQWT (Transmission Line) Speaker Project

In the first there is a freq response measurement that shows a very good sensitivity over 10K.

The big advantage over the others is that is a 5" for my 140 mm max diam specifications.
Old 4th September 2011, 03:36 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

All of the projects I've seen with the FX120 seem to reinforce its reputation as a solid driver, and probably one of the smoothest fostex drivers made. One of the reasons I purchased the tangband W5-1611 for my speakers was that it looked like an FX120 on the cheap: 5", usable xmax, (reasonably) smooth and extended FR.
Old 4th September 2011, 07:56 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Perhaps we can get Jeff to comment, He has both FX120 and Alpair7 in similar enclosures.

Note that the FX120 is a 4.5" (120mm) driver, same size as FE126/7 and not a 5". It is a very good driver, very smooth, i found it a bit dynamically constrained vrs the FE127. It has been a long time since i have heard it, so can't compare to anything i've heard more recently.

dave
Old 4th September 2011, 08:30 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
Perhaps we can get Jeff to comment, He has both FX120 and Alpair7 in similar enclosures.
At this point, it's a tough call. I'd give the nod to the A7 for top end detail, but this can be a double edged sword, depending on the source. They are a little more subdued thru the mids, but bass extension is pretty close, although you could probably push the FX120's to go louder without fear of damage.

Dave, maybe we'll have to get together for a "shoot out" when the rains start.

jeff

Last edited by vinylkid58; 4th September 2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: add text

Hide this!Advertise here!