Small Full Range driver selection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks for that !

You had the chance to hear the Jordan JX92 ? I see that it has similar parameters to the W4-1879.

No Maaaaaaan, that's Frodos Project (Herr der Ringe = Lord of the Rings :D )

should be a good driver, but I haven't heard them

but I have Tang Band W5-1611 that don't need notch(for my taste) and no BSC in this TML Enclosure:
Flat 5 Bausatz - Lautsprecher Selbstbau by blue planet acoustic
Sound is mellow never fatiquing, Vocals are very real, and the cone is big for 5" Wideranger and no need for a tweeter(also for my taste)

that Flat 5 TML has more Bass then this 10L BR "Sarah" that is more balanced, but "Sarah" has BSC and notch filter
Roehren-und-Hoeren :: Thema anzeigen - Hifi-Music-World 2008
Sarah Thread:
Preiswerte, variabel einsetzbare Bassreflex-Breitbänderbox "Sarah", Projekte der Nutzer / Eigenentwicklungen - HIFI-FORUM
altough it's all room dependent...

Parameters have nothing to do with soundcharacter of a driver- and that is most important

I haven't heard Jordans, but that is a metal cone and those TB are polypropilene, more different than that it couldn't be :D

TB W5 is super-smooth, but metal cones make more details, it's up to you what you like more :)

I compared Alpair 7 and TB W5, and both are winners, I could not decide which is better, both are superb :p

also very important to try a few amplifiers- the soundstage and presentation is not the same on another amp, and then fine tuning with cables, room etc

Last edited:
Thx again.

So, ok, because I could spend a little more to get the W4-1879, my question is if this driver is good as it others brothers TB full range. I have a W8-1772 and I like it a lot.
Second question is if the brand TB is accurate with the published parameters.
And last question is if with this W4-1879 you get what you paid for.

Nice cabinet you build. Very interesting to do one adapted for the Fostex FX120 or the W4-1879....I cannot finalize my choice yet :confused:

rgds

Parameters have nothing to do with soundcharacter of a driver- and that is most important

I haven't heard Jordans, but that is a metal cone and those TB are polypropilene, more different than that it couldn't be :D

TB W5 is super-smooth, but metal cones make more details, it's up to you what you like more :)

I compared Alpair 7 and TB W5, and both are winners, I could not decide which is better, both are superb :p

also very important to try a few amplifiers- the soundstage and presentation is not the same on another amp, and then fine tuning with cables, room etc

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It's a shame to use such a driver in a sealed cab when a relatively small folded TL are available to really put out nice bass. Either Henkjan's tapered TL design or Bjohannesen's MLTL TABAQ are both good. My experience with the TABAQ has been fantastic - really nice tight bass that goes deep. Cabinet is still "desktop:" capable if you fold 3 times (5 in wide, 12 in tall x 10 in deep).

i have a different TB unit W3 1285SG. It has the last octave rise that many of their W3 range have. It isnt much work to filter it, but as other TBs Qts is low, Fs about 100hz, xmax low but xmech is much higher. Its likely a better midtweet but it manages bass well IME. The FX120 is a driver ive considered but not bought. I have too many as it is!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.