Small Full Range driver selection - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th September 2011, 06:32 AM   #21
Abelma is offline Abelma  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Do you use any BSC filter or equalization on those two driver projects?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinylkid58 View Post
Pretty sure my 7's are not Gen3, but they have the P10 treatment.

Yes to the second part.

A7.

jeff
Old 5th September 2011, 07:03 AM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abelma View Post

Jeff, what kind of enclosure is that for the FX120? Is there plans available?
Jeff's own Fonken-like enclosure (for the FE127, i have heard him opine that it is a bit small for FX120.

Out larger box, i have plans for it (we didn't choose the colour scheme on this one, the client did, to my mind the veneer would work better on a smaller bpx, and the red spots clash)

Click the image to open in full size.

dave
Old 5th September 2011, 03:19 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I was considering W4-1879, but i find it kinda ugly, so on recommendations of a couple people i got W5-1611.

dave
I have a pair of these, but I haven't spent much time with them. They are a drop-in for the RS 40-1354a, but sound much better even without expensive break-in. One interesting feature is a hole around 6-7kH, so sibilance is not a problem.

Bob
Old 6th September 2011, 03:54 AM   #24
diyAudio Member

Quote:
A slightly larger Fonken, with more vent area, approx. 80% of the FE127 Sd. Basically, an experiment to see how far the FE127 could be pushed to produce a little more bass. On paper, the FX120 looked looked like it would work in this box also, so curiosity took over.

PM me if you're interested in the drawings. Just be aware that this box was meant for the FE127, and would probably benefit from a slight revision for the FX120. 15mm BB instead of 12mm for starters.

Quote:
Do you use any BSC filter or equalization on those two driver projects?
No.

jeff
Old 6th September 2011, 02:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi Bob,

How you compare the TB with the Alpair7, and/or if you know also the Fostex FX120in your opinion?
Its high price is justified?
Looking for the best low freq performance, the TB seems the one?
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Brines View Post
I have a pair of these, but I haven't spent much time with them. They are a drop-in for the RS 40-1354a, but sound much better even without expensive break-in. One interesting feature is a hole around 6-7kH, so sibilance is not a problem.

Bob
Old 6th September 2011, 03:43 PM   #26
chrisb is online now chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

The Gen3 Alpair 7 driver seems it has a better sensitivity response, flatter, that would say that the new genereation is less agressive for people that found a little bright on mid top?

Thx

FWIW since we've been listening to Alpair7 for over a year now, they were obviously not Gen3, but I certainly can't recall anyone commenting on over-bright top end or other issues with upper midrange - certainly not the case for some of the Fostex drivers in this size range (i.e. FE126E ).

as to Jeff's enclosure pictured - as he noted this particular pair was actually built for FE127E, and a dedicated enclosure of this format for "optimal" LF performance on the FX120 would probably need some revisiting

Last edited by chrisb; 6th September 2011 at 03:47 PM.
Old 6th September 2011, 06:34 PM   #27
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Looking for the best low freq performance, the TB seems the one?
For best low frequency performance without sacrificing the critical mid-top, you can't beat separate woofers.

dave
Old 6th September 2011, 08:04 PM   #28
ghw is offline ghw  United States
diyAudio Member

If you don't want a BSC or other EQ circuit between the amp and the woofer, you have a few options, assuming you do not want your speaker to sound like a 6dB shelving low-cut filter). These are listed in order of decreasing sensibility.

1) Put the BSC at line level, before the amplifier. This could be done actively, e.g. in the feedback loop of an opamp, or passively, e.g. between a buffer like the B1 or a low-impedance source and the input of your amplifier.
2) Design a speaker to be mounted on or in a wall. This eliminates the baffle step as an issue.
3) Design the dimensions of your speaker around a wide-range driver with a conspicuous 6dB shelf at some frequency, and then choose the dimensions of your baffle around that shelf. This seems like a brutal design constraint.

You appear to be opting for either third approach (find a driver with the shelf built in) or a speaker with the low frequencies shelved down 6dB. Neither option avoids equalization of the speaker. The former approach introduces a very rigid design constraint that is unlikely to be met and the latter does terrible injury to your signal (presumably music).

Dave appears to have the best approach (use a separate woofer for the low end). If you start with a relatively high-excursion, low-efficiency mid-top, like the Scan-Speak 10f, you can then choose a woofer 6dB more sensitive and cross at the baffle step center-point to take care of BSC. Again, this could be done at line-level to avoid EQ networks in between your amps and drivers.

Cheers,
George
Old 7th September 2011, 06:44 AM   #29
diyAudio Member

Reading in other post about the FX120, a owner did not like him with transistor amplifier? Only when he used a tube amplifier he liked. why this could be?

wich enclosure for fostex's FX120

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
well he can snatch this one now for his collection

of course he might well have (misplaced) one or two pictures of this already - wanna try and sift through that one time?

While not as pronounced as with the FE127E (or the new FF125WK) the FX 120 will definitely have that signature midrange presence/dynamics that I've not found in Alpair7.

Dave - you should try to fully break-in the WKs for a session with all 3
Old 7th September 2011, 06:46 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Thank you for your opinion George.
But I will stick with the idea of one driver in this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghw View Post
If you don't want a BSC or other EQ circuit between the amp and the woofer, you have a few options, assuming you do not want your speaker to sound like a 6dB shelving low-cut filter). These are listed in order of decreasing sensibility.

1) Put the BSC at line level, before the amplifier. This could be done actively, e.g. in the feedback loop of an opamp, or passively, e.g. between a buffer like the B1 or a low-impedance source and the input of your amplifier.
2) Design a speaker to be mounted on or in a wall. This eliminates the baffle step as an issue.
3) Design the dimensions of your speaker around a wide-range driver with a conspicuous 6dB shelf at some frequency, and then choose the dimensions of your baffle around that shelf. This seems like a brutal design constraint.

You appear to be opting for either third approach (find a driver with the shelf built in) or a speaker with the low frequencies shelved down 6dB. Neither option avoids equalization of the speaker. The former approach introduces a very rigid design constraint that is unlikely to be met and the latter does terrible injury to your signal (presumably music).

Dave appears to have the best approach (use a separate woofer for the low end). If you start with a relatively high-excursion, low-efficiency mid-top, like the Scan-Speak 10f, you can then choose a woofer 6dB more sensitive and cross at the baffle step center-point to take care of BSC. Again, this could be done at line-level to avoid EQ networks in between your amps and drivers.

Cheers,
George

Hide this!Advertise here!