seal wood inside cabinet - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st August 2011, 11:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default seal wood inside cabinet

just about done with one of the planet 10 designs.... using bb plywood. holey braces have lots of surfaces... should i seal the wood with polyeurathane or something, either to stabalize the wood or keep slinters from vibrating
Old 1st September 2011, 12:12 AM   #2
evanc is offline evanc  United States
diyAudio Member

Location: New Jersey. About 1 hour from NYC and 1 min. from the beach
I would not bother sealing the insides if they are made of BB plywood. solid would I would....
Old 1st September 2011, 07:48 AM   #3
karmik is offline karmik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
Plaster accurately, sand to perfection, place black tar. That should provide enough dumping.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:09 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Not necessary most of the time with BB ply, except in a very humid environment. Adding tar to one of Dave's cabinets would be counter productive.
Old 1st September 2011, 08:15 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
How so? Less stray vibrations should be good no? Asking honestly, it's clear i'm the lowliest of newbies here
Old 1st September 2011, 10:46 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

There's resonance & there's resonance. You cannot remove panel resonance in any practical cabinet, only shunt it to a region where it's not going to cause problems. The principle behind Dave's cabinets is to raise it significantly above the functional BW of the box, where there is little energy left to excite it. Adding damping beyond what is specified in the design isn't likely to bring any benefits & if done excessively may ultimately start to reverse this trend.
Old 1st September 2011, 11:05 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

So basically planet10 design "shifts" the endemic resonance of every panel far high in the sound spectrum?

I can see why in a situation like that damping more would cause harm. If i understand it correctly, the risk is that the resonance would "fire back" at lower frequencies?
Old 1st September 2011, 03:44 PM   #8
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmik View Post
So basically planet10 design "shifts" the endemic resonance of every panel far high in the sound spectrum?

I can see why in a situation like that damping more would cause harm. If i understand it correctly, the risk is that the resonance would "fire back" at lower frequencies?

unless the damping scheme / materials can magically transport those vibrations to another fixed point in the time space continuum (you're welcome Jack Harkness fans), all it's likely to do is slow down the rate at which the "absorbed" energy is dissipated - often to the detriment of the music's transient response

that piece of baffle-gab fluff brought to you by the folks at Barrowman Labs

I've often finished exposed surfaces of ports, horn mouths, etc, but I wouldn't worry about sealing inside of plywood cabinets

Last edited by chrisb; 1st September 2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 1st September 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Karmik: Sometimes petroleum based tar/roof cement can out gas solvents inside a cabinet, and these solvents can degrade/melt foam surrounds, driver adhesives, etc.

Just something to keep in mind....
Old 1st September 2011, 04:00 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
unless the damping scheme / materials can magically transport those vibrations to another fixed point in the time space continuum (you're welcome Jack Harkness fans), all it's likely to do is slow down the rate at which the "absorbed" energy is dissipated - often to the detriment of the music's transient response

that piece of baffle-gab fluff brought to you by the folks at Barrowman Labs

I've often finished exposed surfaces of ports, horn mouths, etc, but I wouldn't worry about sealing inside of plywood cabinets
Major Respect for the Dr.Who/Torchwood reference, you warmed my heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boywonder View Post
Karmik: Sometimes petroleum based tar/roof cement can out gas solvents inside a cabinet, and these solvents can degrade/melt foam surrounds, driver adhesives, etc.

Just something to keep in mind....
Blast it. I thought black tar was a must in basically every speaker build. Are you telling me it's not that common and that it can even be harmful? How many speakers out of 10 do you see it used in?

The more i read about speaker building, the less i know. Oh well.

Hide this!Advertise here!