CHBW-70 and CHP-70 mixed in a Lotus^2 cabinet

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just for a little background, I can build just about anything out of wood or MDF. I am however, no expert in configuring speakers or designing cabinets. I will have a little spare change very soon and I can swing two pairs of the 70 series.

My question.... Would it be feasible to use both the CHBW-70 and CHP-70 to build each of my Lotus^2 cabinets or would this severely screw up the final build? I'm just thinking that it may give a little more low end on the final build.

I plan to build the cabinets as the instructions have them described with the CHP-70 forward facing and the CHBW-70 facing inward.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
An interesting question.

CHP & CHBW have slightly different tuning. Scott will be the one to give a definitive answer, but my gut (based on my much smaller boxes (i expect Scott's to be a bit more tolerant)), is thet 2 CHP or 2 CHBW would work fine, but thet mixing could give somewhat poorer results as the 2 drivers fight a bit on the bottom.

In an "optimum" small box, you get a couple more hertz with the BW (this isn't an EL70, which has about 10 Hz on CHP), and its high frequency shelf is about 5 dB lower than the CHP.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.