Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2011, 10:37 PM   #21
Greg B is offline Greg B  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
there is some precedence for this approach in the old SDX7/alpair5 combo.
Even more precedent than that... I 'stole' the idea from an old ~1970 pair of Wharfedales I had. 2 ways with a crossover near 1kHz were common in the 60's AFAIK. The original AR-1 used an Altec 755 as a 'tweeter'.

This is really the kind of project where you'd want to try a few different crossover points and decide for yourself. Dave reports plenty of dynamic range with a 350hz crossover, and I do like crossing at the baffle step if possible. OTOH, years ago I crossed an FF125K to a 10" bass driver at about that zone, and it clearly could not keep up with the woofer, at least with a 1st order highpass. Obviously a steeper and/or active crossover will solve that, but introduces its own problems.
Old 2nd September 2011, 12:45 AM   #22
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazdrumzalot View Post
SDX7/alpair5 combo. Crossover points anywhere from 500hz to 1.5khz were suggested
If it has the minimal treatment SDX7 rolls off fairly smoothly at 1.4-1.5 kHz. If stock it is a rollercoaster above 500 Hz.

dave
Old 6th November 2011, 06:56 AM   #23
diyAudio Member

FF225wk.
I know it ain't cheap, but what about adding a fostex supertweet ?
Like the ft96h ?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...f/ft96hrev.pdf

Not sure but a 2uF should be a pole near 10khz.
They recommend 1uF (20khz pole, -3db@20khz, -9db@10khz). This seems too high for me.

Norman
Old 6th November 2011, 09:11 AM   #24
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Steve the shawdow (the guy that came up with Metronome) has just done up (with Toppy's help) an FF225wk Met + FT17. He found a 1 uF worked right afetr trying a whack of variations.

Last post in the thread (as of now)

audio-talk :: View topic - Axiom 401 in a Metronome Cabinet

A more efficient tweeter would need a smaller cap.

dave
Old 7th November 2011, 03:41 PM   #25
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman bates View Post
FF225wk.
I know it ain't cheap, but what about adding a fostex supertweet ?
Like the ft96h ?

http://www.fostexinternational.com/d...f/ft96hrev.pdf

Not sure but a 2uF should be a pole near 10khz.
They recommend 1uF (20khz pole, -3db@20khz, -9db@10khz). This seems too high for me.

Norman

if the extreme extension and sensitivity of this class of horn super tweeter is not essential, something like the 85WK allows a lot more flexibility in terms of playing with XO corner and slopes, for slightly more than 1/4 the cost of the FT96H

Hide this!Advertise here!