may have jumped in at the deep in here... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 10:21 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

You won't need a big box, those drivers should be fine in 8L each.

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/...20friendly.pdf
Old 28th August 2011, 10:26 PM   #12
karmik is offline karmik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
Quote:
Originally Posted by stahlm004443 View Post
thankyou very much, that is a big help.

this is sort of a first try kind of thing, i will probably end up making a better one with bigger and better woofers and what not at some point.

so MDF or PLY? im probably only going to use 10mm maybe 12mm because weight is a big factor in this build.
Plywood every day of the week. Ew, i still can't understand why people use MDF. I don't find it easier to work with at all. But it might just be me :P

12mm is really really thin 15-18mm would be much easier to work. Anything less than that and each drill hole, each cut you make you risk to lift bits of wood around the area you're working on (i'm assuming you're not a master woodcrafter).

Personally, i never go below 20mm :P (First project was 30mm )
Old 28th August 2011, 10:37 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Cool, love it when they publish the specs. Every thing you need for the design in that PDF.
Old 29th August 2011, 12:05 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

thanks everyone, been a massive massive help, hopefully my things turn up soon so i can play around with it all and let you know how it goes.

so the woofers are not the best option then, if i change the woofers, could i still use the crossovers and tweets that come in the package?

if so what 6.5" woofers does any one recomend?

thanks

matt
Old 29th August 2011, 12:37 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

In defense of MDF, try making a panel door out of ply and then giving it a paint finish, or a box with a quarter round profile on the edges and then finish it in a piano gloss. Real wood has it's problems too, make a bunch of cupboard doors out of it and you will need to replace some of them a year or even two later through splitting and warping because it's not very stable. MDF overcomes these problems but is very dense and lacks strength for shelving etc, it sags with time. It's horses for courses, I'd make a portable boom box out of exterior grade 18 mm ply.
Old 30th August 2011, 05:46 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

so ive got a charger that i use to charge rc car batterys, its an inteligent multi charger, it says i can charge Pb cells, is that sealed lead acid?

here is the charger

Imax b6
Old 30th August 2011, 06:15 PM   #17
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubtingthomas View Post
In defense of MDF, try making a panel door out of ply and then giving it a paint finish, or a box with a quarter round profile on the edges and then finish it in a piano gloss. Real wood has it's problems too, make a bunch of cupboard doors out of it and you will need to replace some of them a year or even two later through splitting and warping because it's not very stable. MDF overcomes these problems but is very dense and lacks strength for shelving etc, it sags with time. It's horses for courses, I'd make a portable boom box out of exterior grade 18 mm ply.

agreed - MDF definitely has its place, even in speaker building ( i.e. jigs and templates ) but piano gloss finish on any material takes tons of time
Old 31st August 2011, 12:58 AM   #18
diyAudio Member

Im planning to make the same thing. This is the battery charger im looking at. Im planing on using 3in and 2in fullrange drivers.
Old 31st August 2011, 08:10 AM   #19
karmik is offline karmik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfive82 View Post
Im planning to make the same thing. This is the battery charger im looking at. Im planing on using 3in and 2in fullrange drivers.
I think johnnyfive82's charger is the right one. The one OP posted earlier in the thread is an RC Car charger and thus suited for lithium ion/lithium polymer batteries.
Old 31st August 2011, 11:47 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmik View Post
I think johnnyfive82's charger is the right one. The one OP posted earlier in the thread is an RC Car charger and thus suited for lithium ion/lithium polymer batteries.
But I says it can charge Pb battery's. And Pb is sealed lead acid is it not?

Hide this!Advertise here!