Taking the Air Cavity/pre-chamber to the next level... - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2012, 11:26 PM   #31
diyAudio Member

so is the theory behind this about reducing high frequency transfer into the horn itself?
Old 15th September 2012, 12:01 AM   #32
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The theory is that the volume of the air cabity, the exit to the horn, and the driver parameters controls the cut-off frequency going into the horn, Larger = lower.

The goal for a smooth hand-off is that the distance from the start of the horn to where the horn output merges with the output of the front of the driver is an odd number of half-wavelengths of the cut-off frequency.

dave
Old 28th September 2012, 02:47 AM   #33
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

Is there a particular frequency range that the diffusor should be built for or is the air volume the primary factor in the design.

From a symetry point of view, would a slat diffusor work just as well or possibly better than the 2D diffusor? Theoretically, 2D diffusors disperse sound in a verticle and horizontal direction. Where slat diffusors only scatter sound in one direction. Could this be used to your advantage here?

There is enough space available behind the main air chamber in the Maeshowe to allow for a fully adjustable air cavity. Where you could allow the diffusor to move forward and back changing the air volume behind the driver. It could also allow you to make the diffusor a little deeper if a lower tunning of the diffusor is required.

Is any of this worth trying?
Old 28th September 2012, 02:54 AM   #34
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzZ View Post
Is any of this worth trying?
Yes.

dave
Old 28th September 2012, 03:03 AM   #35
FozzZ is offline FozzZ  Canada
diyAudio Member

I planed to, just making sure I'm not wasting time.

But what frequencies would you suggest I try to control with the diffusor? Is ther a particular range that is troublesome for the EL70 and this design? The reason I'm asking is because I don't want to build the diffusor so deep as to cause issues with the low frequencies reproduction. I know the wave forms are much to long to be effected on their own, but mid frequencies often reinforce lower frequencies.

Last edited by FozzZ; 28th September 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old 28th September 2012, 06:09 AM   #36
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

The acoustic cut-off of the horn will be on the order of 250 Hz, so it is frequencies above that that will come into play.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!