Taking the Air Cavity/pre-chamber to the next level... - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 28th August 2011, 11:38 PM   #11
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

In the Clubs & EventsForum -- 8th Annual Vancouver Island diyFEST 2011, and if put on the Calender, in the upcoming Events box on the diyA home page (burning amp the only one there at the moment)

Are you close enuff to have been able to make it?

dave
Old 28th August 2011, 11:47 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

That's what airplanes are for
Old 29th August 2011, 12:00 AM   #13
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There will be another one next year... in all liklihood on August 18

dave
Old 29th August 2011, 12:30 AM   #14
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post

There will be another one next year... in all liklihood on August 18

dave

that's 51 weeks to plan for the trip, or formulate excuses for not
Old 29th September 2011, 05:46 AM   #15
diyAudio Member

Cool Diffuser Cities

Sorry to interupt, but I figured I would show you what the imformation on this thread has inspired me to do for my Avebury project:

It was hard to use only prime numbers as I did not have a lot of depth to work with. And the golden ratio was done by Dave, so I went with sloped surfaces on my blocks. That way every distance is covered with-in the range of my slopes when put in continuous order from smallest to biggest. (picture 1) One group of smallest to biggest has six peices.

Next I figured the layout of the grouping of peices by attemping to make the distance from the top to the bottom of adjoining pieces as differnet as possible, creating different "cavities". One grouping has a redundency, but they slope in opposite directions creating a different "cavity". All the "pairs" have similiar patterns, but they are diferent by how they adjoin. (picture 2)

Now the fun part. I created four squares, each consisting of 3 groupings. I followed the same sequencing on creating these squares, but it is amazeing how different they turned out. I then put the squares together by rotating the adjacent square 90 degrees. (picture 3) I want a "sysmetrical" diffusion to keep the driver loading the horns equally. This may not de necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Backblocks.jpg (229.7 KB, 268 views)
File Type: jpg diffusermath.jpg (163.9 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg diffuserstage1.jpg (214.4 KB, 265 views)
Old 29th September 2011, 06:08 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Question Have I lost ya yet?

Bear with me, I am almost done! I just hope this helps someone!

...So, after I got the squares together to form the whole diffusion panel, I rotated every other pair of peices. (picture 4)

...After some looking, I decided to rearrange the four squares to scatter the sound around more "balanced" Is that an oxymoron for a diffusion panel? (picture 5+6) This is the one I like best.

I have to say, these things look really cool, it is a shame that they will be enclosed inside the cabinets!

Enjoy your salmon! Yum, Yum.

Allen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg diffuserdesign1.jpg (201.4 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg diffuserdesign2.jpg (223.5 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg diffusercity2.jpg (182.2 KB, 113 views)

Last edited by ArtsyAllen; 29th September 2011 at 06:11 AM.
Old 29th September 2011, 06:10 AM   #17
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Excellent work Allen. This is an excellent illustration of how the basic idea can be improved on.

dave
Old 29th September 2011, 07:33 AM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Allen,

Is it possible to get a couple olique photos?

dave
Old 29th September 2011, 09:41 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

i must say ive seen these before and thoroughly like the idea. Not tried the skyline type, but the Weems' splasher worked quite well so id imagine these would improve upon that further. My visaton tqwl has steps along the taper, which may have a similar effect, though less pronounced and as a side effect rather than deliberate. Maybe a few blocks added to the 15degree face may 'convert' my design? Nice work.
Old 29th September 2011, 05:31 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
When Chris & i built (chris did the actual building) the 1st test set of Woden Maeshowe the Air Cavity behind the driver was purposely enlarged so that we could play with it. Sucess with the FE126 lead to Valiant, an adaption for FE126En.

All along we knew we'd have to fill it up/reduce its volume back to spec. I had the idea of using the "blocks" i often mention.

This is meant as an illustration of what i mean by that. I will note here that what follows was/is very successful.

dave
This has piqued my curiousity a bit... After adding the diffusion blocks and verifying that the Alpair 7.3's worked perfectly, did you ever try and see how the FE126s sounded with the blocks on?

Cheers,
Daniel

Hide this!Advertise here!