upgrade from fe127en by planet-10. Suggestions? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th August 2011, 06:20 AM   #1
Account disabled at member's request

Default upgrade from fe127en by planet-10. Suggestions?

hi everyone.

I LOVE after a couple of try-out the full-range sound. I just love my fonkens midrange. I plan on building two sub and add super-tweeters or maybe tweeters to a pair of full-range drivers.

Even though I love my drivers I know that theres better drivers out there.

What would be the logical step-up.

I have 1k just for the drivers...

thanks
Old 27th August 2011, 08:12 AM   #2
zman01 is offline zman01  Bangladesh
diyAudio Member

murphythecat8,

What type of enclosure size and room placement are you looking at? The system is primarily for music? What amp and source components are you using? These info will help forum members give you better and more informed suggestions.
Old 27th August 2011, 08:37 PM   #3
karmik is offline karmik  Italy
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
If i had that kind of money, i'd go BIG. 8" and some fancy enclose like a TL or voigt pipe. I'm currently building something around a FF85-WK, the bigger brother FF225 looks quite interesting, especially if they could get the "wizard treatment" from planet10 or similar (talking without direct experience here but i'm sure many on these forums can testify on the improvements of said modification).
Old 27th August 2011, 08:55 PM   #4
Nanook is offline Nanook  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default lots of questions for you.

murphythecat8: a ton of questions need to be answered.
  • if you love the Fonkens, why do you want to change them, out of curosity?
  • do you want to "retro fit" your existing cabinets?
  • if so, what do you have room for?
  • as zman01asked, primarily for music?
  • what kind of music do you listen to?
  • how big is your room?
  • what amount of power is available ?
  • does the $1k include subwoofer(s) and amplification for them?
And I do have a few recommendations and comments without knowing the answers to the above questions:
  • if subwoofer(s) are in the future, then why not do these first? And note the "s" part of "subwoofer(s)". A stereo pair will give you something that is better in every way compared to a single sub: better dynamics; soundstaging; and smaller sized subs. Smaller subs = faster responding. I like subs less than 10", but really prefer 8" ones when used in a stereo pair due to their lower mass.
  • remember to include the cost of amplification and cross-overs for the subwoofer project. These can be as simple as a good plate amp (if single sub) or amps(if stereo). Perhaps you may already have a suitable stereo amplifier, in which case a good crossover (electronic) would be needed.
  • keep the material costs of the enclosure(s) in mind.
  • use baltic birch plywood or similar. I have yet to hear a MDF cabinet that I have really liked. This point is very "controversial". My thoght is that if you are spending $100s of dollars on drivers, etc., then why wouldyou not use better materials. Here in Canada a 4'X8' sheet (exterior grade, 18mm or 3/4"), is relatively inexpensive (about $90) a sheet.
  • if you must use MDF do yourself a big favour (as per Vince Bruzzese), finish the interior and exterior. Paint is OK. MDF can "chuff", so if sealed with a good primer on both interior and exterior, the sound will improve dramatically.(A local car audio "gur" has been doing this for years, as most car audio guys don't, and he has won several national and international awards.)
  • when using your Fonkens, get them on good stands and feed them via good cable. Key here is good, which need not be expensive.
  • considering the use of "super tweeters", check with Dave (planet10) or Chris (chrisb) almost no one uses these with the Fonkens. If used with the Fonkens (without subwoofer augmentation), then the top end may very well become tilted leaving the impression of a lot lighter bass weight.
a few thoughts to consider before more fullrangers are purchased if a sub (subs) and/or supertweeters are purchased.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to karmik Send a message via AIM to karmik Send a message via MSN to karmik Send a message via Yahoo to karmik
I don't understand this fascination with MDF? I find it a terrible building material. It tends to crumble, the finish tends to be horrible without a veneer (and i consider a veneer "cheating", because you're not bringing out the beauty in your own wood panel, you're just using someone else's work) and it's too brittle.

Birch Plywood is decent, and i've been considering for a while to use a "sandwich" with plywood inside and a thick panel of real wood outside, finished with resin or something else that "brings out" the natural beauty and warmth of real wood.

The only plus side i see in MDF is its sonic properties, since it's a compound material it doesn't have a specific footprint and thus it's usually very stiff and deaf at all frequencies.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:18 PM   #6
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmik View Post
I'm currently building something around a FF85-WK, the bigger brother FF225 looks quite interesting
Based on my experience, i think that, except for bass extension & loudness, that if you listened to FF85 vrs FF225 you would find the FF85 the better driver. Leave the bass to dedicated woofers.

dave
Old 27th August 2011, 09:19 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I can't help but being happy about that! i can't wait to listen to these little ones, i'm so anxious! I hope i'm not creating myself too many expectations eheh.
Old 27th August 2011, 09:20 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I don't understand this fascination with MDF?...The only plus side i see in MDF is its sonic properties, since it's a compound material it doesn't have a specific footprint and thus it's usually very stiff and deaf at all frequencies.
You won't get an argument from me, but i don't like MDF because of its parasitic sonic properties.

dave
Old 27th August 2011, 09:23 PM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
I can't help but being happy about that! i can't wait to listen to these little ones, i'm so anxious! I hope i'm not creating myself too many expectations eheh.
The FF85wk (treated by Bud), the MTM with the older FF85k (treated by me), and the Alapir7.3 (stock), from the comments, seem to be the stand-outs at last WEs diyFEST.

dave
Old 28th August 2011, 05:48 AM   #10
Account disabled at member's request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
murphythecat8: a ton of questions need to be answered.
  • if you love the Fonkens, why do you want to change them, out of curosity?
  • do you want to "retro fit" your existing cabinets?
  • if so, what do you have room for?
  • as zman01asked, primarily for music?
  • what kind of music do you listen to?
  • how big is your room?
  • what amount of power is available ?
  • does the $1k include subwoofer(s) and amplification for them?
I Discovered with my fonkens the midrange magic coming from fullrange.

I like the idea to use a FR as a wideband midrange and then add a tweeter and a sub. But I want to also consier making something like that: Breitbänder

-I love the fonkens but I know theres better drivers abnd I want to make my main speakers .

-For my new drivers yes I will need to make cabinet; but will I be using a sub of do a 3-way with a fullrange driver?

-My room is 11x11.

-I listen to jazz and rock

-my pushpull amp have 15w per channel and I have a couple of vintage SS receivers.

-I can put up to 2k for the whole project.

Hide this!Advertise here!