Speaker sandwich

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am in the process of building a mini console and was discussing the speaker system on the Mark Audio forum...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/markaudio/194579-mini-console-based-chr-70-gen1.html

...and as part of discussing the project I asked there about the idea of using a sandwich of materials to help isolate the vibration of the speakers from the tube amp mounted in the console. I haven't gotten any input (probably due to the low volume of the driver specific board) so I thought I would ask here in the more general forum and see if anyone has any thoughts on the topic.

The project is a shrunken stereo console using KT-88 SE power amp and a tube preamp using 12AY7 (voltage amplification) and 12AU7 (followers). The idea is to reduce microphonics by isolating the speakers from the main body of the console.

My idea is to build the speaker enclosure out of OSB or light plywood with a layer of foam insulation sheet covering all of the surfaces except the baffle. It would be sized so that the resulting box is a snug fit inside of the body of the console (one enclosure for right and one for left). The body of the console will be solid wood (probably 1" poplar). Once in place a side and rear plate of the same wood would be screwed in place on the remaining side and rear of the enclosure to snug it up into place and secure it.

Thoughts?

Hi Mike,

My thoughts are that you will get a lot of coloration with this design. Typically the goal of a speaker enclosure is to prevent the driver's frame or the enclosure its self from moving. Letting the cabinet vibrate just sounds bad. Your plan to build the enclosure out of light wood, isolated with foam will probably do this. I would suggest a design which couples the driver tightly to the rest of the console, which is heavy and solid, and isolate the electronics from the enclosure. There are many ways this could be done. I've found sorbothane to be a really good vibration isolation material, and is available as hemispheres Polymer Hemispheres | Sorbothane

Building the speakers into the console, that is, using some of the walls of the console as walls of the speaker enclosure, would also make the whole thing a little smaller and lighter.

I hate to be critical, but you did ask for our thoughts.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.