El cheapo driver in Suzy Chang

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I recently finished a Suzy Chang cabinet, had Pioneer 4.5" fullrange speaker A10 (not available anymore..., had bought few at $11/each about 5 yrs back). I want to briefly give over view. These are new drivers that had been stored. I am realizing MDF is a good product, when glued to plywood, makes good "dead" cabinet.

I had initially built with a 1/2" plywood and laminated with 1/4" MDF and realized there is a significant resonance when music is playing at moderately high volume, so I reenforced it with the 1/2"MDF in addition (so around sound chamber on sides more than 1" thick. Simple reinforcement behind the driver extending to back wall is likely further helpful, I used 2 strands of Cat5 wires in the cabinet to connect drivers to back of the cabinet. Dark theme works well in my listening room.

I only have about 20hrs of listening, highs are good (when I built Mikasa with the same driver I added a simple tweeter) but so far I don't feel a need (I am into vocal, small group, jazz). Upper bass is to my liking, brief listening of "1812" in flac file is satisfactory in my 20x30' room.

Enjoy the pictures, the sound is overall very good so far, for the investment of minimal expense and time. More and more I realize importance of cabinet detail for good sound. Suzy Chang cabinet works well with this driver.

20110813-P1070774.jpg

20110813-P1070770.jpg

20110813-P1070777.jpg

20110822-P1070782.jpg

I really don't know why I tried yellow color...

20110824-P1070793.jpg

20110824-P1070789.jpg

final product

Attachments

• elcheapo.jpg
    elcheapo.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 583
Last edited:
Hi GY, those speakers look really good. They look professional! Now I know what I m going to do with my pair of el cheapos.

Cheers

let's compare notes after u build them, so far I am pleasantly surprised at the sound, bass is more than ample. I had built BIB, mikasa with the same driver, if u want the maximum bass with a classy decor, mikasa is the box, but if u have a smallish room and quick build Suzy is the one. BIB was also great with extended bass but best in the corners.

Very nice! I liked the yellow!

only last 2 pictures are the "final" color. Looks yellowish due to poor lighting. I painted over the initial yellow color so it actually has only 2 colors. Dark brown (looks yellowish) and flat black. Fits well in our room decor. Initial listening with yellow color was very helpful since resonance of the cabinet was obvious, so I added extra width around the sound chamber as can be seen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.