New carbinet for NOS OLSON Coxial 12" Loudspeakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 23rd August 2011, 09:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile New carbinet for NOS OLSON Coxial 12" Loudspeakers

Hi everyone,

I have bought 2 NOS Olson SS-311 12" Coxial Loudspeakers as you see pics:
Click the image to open in full size.

Can you help me to make the right cabinet for these speakers.
Pls let me know the Dimensions, Structure and material might need.
Thanks alot for helping me DIY my speakers.

Hoang Do
Old 23rd August 2011, 12:18 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hello, can any one help me?
Old 23rd August 2011, 01:49 PM   #3
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

You need to develop some patience, a lot of us were either at work or asleep when you posted, not to mention folks should spend some time doing research on their own before posting. 'Google' is your friend: Olson S-311

GM
Old 23rd August 2011, 03:22 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hey thanks man, i will notice what u said. As i saw on the box they are SS-311, Is there any difference between SS and S?
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:06 PM   #5
Account disabled at member's request

Pass, but in the absense of any specs. for either, it doesn't make much difference & what GM said applies to both.
Old 23rd August 2011, 04:42 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

You're welcome! My memory is really dim now on most of the cheap drivers I used back when they were readily available, so no longer recall the difference between the two, but these were before T/S and most drivers tended to have a 'sameness' of overall specs so that a wide variety of the same frame size driver would work at least OK in University, EV, Jensen, etc. factory cabs as an acceptable replacement, hence the simple DIY formulas and nomographs the average DIYer used.

Factor in that they would typically be driven with a high output impedance causing the cab to be over-sized when driven with a typical SS amp, so typically it's large enough to allow considerable in-room tuning by adjusting internal damping, vent tuning.

If you want the absolute smallest cab for a given performance level, then you will have to measure at least its T/S specs and use a box program to find it.

GM
Old 24th August 2011, 03:26 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks,i receive 1 guide from a french friend, he told me could follow the Onken for Altec 414 speaker. it quite simple to build.
Old 24th August 2011, 01:06 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

OK, hope it works for you since it will have limited tuning capability. Please post back on this thread and let us know how it turns out. Better yet, post some build pictures as it progresses along with your room, electronics and any additional tuning required [if any] to get a good blend as I know there's others who would like to know more about this type of cab.

GM
Old 24th August 2011, 03:52 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

I am jus in the information gathering step. Once have everything on desk, i will move.
Anyway, i found on website : tannoy
there is a style of Back Load Horn cab, and it said that this could be useable for both 12 "- 15" tannoy speaker. I wonder whether it will work on my driver OLSON.
Neither information nor specification about it on Google, jus some north europa xxx girl for this name.
Old 24th August 2011, 05:45 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

The SS-311 was a relatively low cost driver. With few exceptions (Bozak B-200, RCA LC-1a), the better coaxial drivers from those years used horn tweeters and quite often a whizzer cone. Usually, the upmarket coaxial drivers were quite efficient and had a low to medium Qts. Your drivers most likely have a Qts in the 0.7 to 1.5 range. As a result, the SS-311's will almost certainly not perform well in a cabinet designed for a Tannoy dual-concentric, Jensen G-610 or Altec 604.

At modest spl's they will likely sound quite pleasing in a 3-4 cf U-frame (open back cabinet). Build the enclosures so that you can experiment, by allowing the addition of a fastened/sealed back (for infinite baffle) and an adjustable/sealed rectangular cutout for trying bass reflex. I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good the open-back (and possibly) the infinite baffle cabinets will sound.

For best results be sure to check the crossover cap(s), probably mounted under the magnet dust cover. Consider replacing them with decent film caps - it will improve definition and extension.

BTW, have you tried listening to them yet? Just mount them on a board (at least 2x3 ft.), prop them up from behind and listen. They will probably need some breakin (especially the cone tweeters): at least a few 10's of hours. I have not heard the Olsons, but have been impressed with the sound quality available from a relatively light weight paper cone woofer and cone tweeter. They are often quite efficient, with good dynamics and natural voice reproduction.

Good luck,

Bob

Hide this!Advertise here!