Jordan JX92s questions.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello, I am relatively new to DIY. I have read alot about it but have yet to complete a project. I was recommended this forum.

I recently bought the parts to build a pair of bookshelf speakers using the Jordan JX92s full range driver. The parts have yet to arrive.....but I will get to that later.

I ordered all the parts needed from two suppliers.

DIYCable.com

- Economy Soldering Iron (30 w)

- One ounce of Cardas Solder

- Ten feet (play it safe) of 11.5 AWG Cardas Chassis wire (large gauge to play it safe)

- Two Cardas Long Pure Copper Binding Posts

Creative Sound Solutions

-Two Jordan JX92s Drivers.

-Two Assembled Enclosures for the Jordan JX92s.

-Two ports for the enclosures.

Did I order all the needed stuff?
I assume I just install the binding posts, screw in the drivers and solder the wire from the binding post to the driver?

My main problem is that the stuff from CSS has yet to arrive. I am unsure at what state my order is in. I had to order from CSS because they are the only supplier of the Jordan driver I can find, and they are the only people I can find who sell the Jordan Enclosure.

My second problem is I am unsure of whether I need to stuff the box or not. I will be using the drivers without a subwoofer so it would be appreciated if there was a small bass hump caused by SWs.

My third problem is decoration. I need to somehow have the speaker look nice. The Jordan is a beautiful aluminum driver.......I would like to have a beautiful enclosure to go with it. However, the people I have talked to have discouraged me from painted the MDF enclousure. Apperently MDF is hard to paint (?).

Thank you all. I plea to you DIY gods to help me!

1. You'll need something to use as a seal around the driver. Many people use self-adhesive weather stripping but there's also sealing caulk available from PE (#269-300). You may be able to find something similar from a local car audio place since it's not worth the shipping cost to order one item.
2. To extend the bass a little on the JX92S you may want to put a resistor and inductor in series with the driver. R=4.0 ohms, L=2mH.
3. A little silicon sealant might come in handy. You'll want to make sure all the joints are sealed and also around the port tube and the input cup. A dab on your solder points doesn't hurt either.
4. Following a "rule of thumb" on stuffing you'll need about 10 ounces of polyfil per box.
5. Yes, painting MDF can be troublesome but definitely possible. The problem is that the exposed cut edges of MDF soak up paint like a dry sponge. This can be avoided by sealing the edges first.

what does "in series" mean? Does the resistor and inductor REALLY help?
That little bit of wisdom is not mine, it comes from the EJ Jordan website here.
When I've done this I've soldered the leads of the R and L in parallel and put that combo in the middle of the wire going to the positive pole of the driver. It looks like a BDSC network. There's a example of it here. Look on page 4.

So it should look something like this (?):

(I am quite the artist :D)

Attachments

• jxspekaer.jpg
    jxspekaer.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 645
yep, that's it. You can "glue" the R and L together with some silicon sealant, attach it to a small board (almost anything will do as long as it's not metal) and mount it somewhere inside the cabinet. Probably easiest to put it on the rear panel next to the input terminals.

If the Jordan enclosure has square (rather than rounded) corners, iron-on veneer isn't too difficult to apply and can give a really professional finish.

One of the darker woods would set off the alloy driver quite well. You could finish it off with either a varnish or wood stain, or simply use furniture wax (the more coats of wax the better - but you can do this over time once it is all assembled).

Colin

still waiting

Czilla9000, I have ordered the same drivers from CSS and am still waiting as well! I placed my order july 29, how long have you been waiting? I have contacted Bob and he says he is looking into it. Have you tried contacting Bob yet? He said this was the first time this has happened. I live about an hour from Los Angeles so I'm near you. Maybe we can figure out what happened?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.