recommended design F206En

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Good day! I am writing an interpreter Google, apologize for bad English. Advise please, how best to choose a design for the Fostex 206En - classic horn VC-20, the recommended design for the Fostex 206E or the recommended clearance for new dynamics Fostex 206ES-R. Such as the characteristics of Fostex 206En more like a Fostex 206ES-R, than the classic Fostex 206E. All thanks in advance.

I don't recall the VC-20 off hand, so I can't pass comment on that one.

Of the others, the ES-R box, which is based on the Nagaoka D-58, should be the better performer. I never rated the stock 206 cabinet. Frankly, there are better designs than either around so I'd suggest it might be worth your while to broaden your list of potential options.

If it is one of Fostex's own enclosures, then the FE206ES-R or FE208ESigma cabinets are the pick of the bunch. Of the two, I'd probably be inclined toward the ES-R box.

If you want 'best' -well, that's another ball game entirely, since by nature, 'best' is a set of moving goal posts that depend on your particular requirements and goals.

For example, Ron Clark's Dallas II is an excellent performer, and should be superior to any of the Fostex designs, although it is harder to build. There is the Jerico horn which is also a solid design (although inferior to the Dallas). Horst Moller has several enclosures which the 206 can be used in, although these will require the use of a second drive unit in addition to the Fostex, and are at least in part omni-directional, which does not suit everyone. My own Sachiko horn has been well recieved, and I'm updating it for the En, but it is a very large box.

Last edited:
Dallas II is an excellent performer, but as you say, it does have some tricky angles.

Since you want to go with a Factory cabinet, these simulated FR plots might help you decide. Top is the FE206En cabinet, middle is the FE206ES-R cabinet with the FE206En driver, and bottom is the FE208Esigma cabinet with the FE206En driver.

Attachments

• Fostex back horns with FE206En.png
    Fostex back horns with FE206En.png
    42.2 KB · Views: 597
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.